Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Sad news. I suppose, though, that all things considered, 85 was not a bad age. Tremendous singer. A nice person, if given some dubious financial advice. Momentarily poptastic as other contributors have noted - and probably on more than one occasion. From memory, "Barcelona" was a biggish hit twice. A great name, literally. I always loved the sound of her name which sat alongside that of Freddie Mercury uncannily well. I would, by nature, side with the Puccini over Verdi and both over most of the bel canto repetoire. But it also seems apt to resurrect one of my chestnuts. Zarzuelas. There is still plenty of space on the Usandizaga thread for anyone minded to use it as a springboard for comment on such matters as intended.

The way this works for me:

Italians do it best - southern European opera; not zarzuelas, and who could disagree? - but the Spanish do it from a less obvious, hence interesting, angle including with zarzuelas.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 08-10-18, 20:55.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
      I can only hope that it gets re-released as a tribute, as it appears to be unavailable at present. Individual tracks available on Apple Music, but not the extracts from Manon Lescaut and Le Villi.
      10 of the 12 arias from the record appear in the Caballe Icon set but I remember being disappointed with the transfers of that set. The 1987 issue was one of the first full price CDs I bought - a very expensive £13.99 from HMV -the label is still on the case .

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest artists of our times and should never be forgotten. RIP Freddie.

RIP Montserrat, beautiful person, beautiful voice.

Comment

Working...
        X