• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Elektra // 17/3 2018 // Met

Elektra

Crikey - never thought I'd write this ab out this opera EVER.

Flaccid. Just invertebrate.
    I fear everyone sounded out of their depth. Esp Elektra. And that vibrato!
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

I'm with you regarding vibrato as I find that the majority of recent sopranos have excessive vibrato compared to what I call the 'Golden Age' of `Flagstadt, Price et al. Excessive vibrato has me turning the radio off faster than hearing 'Please tweet to us or text us on 83111 with your favourite music to floss your teeth by'.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

I attended a performance of this opera in Covent Garden in the 1950s on a free ticket being handed out by the RAM in the 1950s.
      Didn't understand the plot and had no interest in the music - but my company, a gorgeous redhead, was worth the trip!
      HS

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Flaccid. Just invertebrate.
        I fear everyone sounded out of their depth. Esp Elektra. And that vibrato!
        Oh dear. Mind you, the first scene is often used as an excuse for a lot of screaming.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

I've seen Goerke sing the role twice - at Covent Garden, then at the Proms. Both times, I thought she was senstational - and the Prom Elektra knocked spots off the flaccid (and over-praised) rendering of Salome the night before.

Comment

• Darkbloom
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            I've seen Goerke sing the role twice - at Covent Garden, then at the Proms. Both times, I thought she was senstational - and the Prom Elektra knocked spots off the flaccid (and over-praised) rendering of Salome the night before.
            I'd call Runnicles approach 'steady' rather than flaccid. I used to find him dull but there's a lot to be said for a safe pair of hands, and he can turn up the heat when required, as we heard in his Proms Gotterdammerung.

That said, the Elektra was a bit special, and most things would have been overshadowed by that. Hearing those two back-to-back are among my best Proms experiences.

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
              I'd call Runnicles approach 'steady' rather than flaccid. I used to find him dull but there's a lot to be said for a safe pair of hands, and he can turn up the heat when required, as we heard in his Proms Gotterdammerung.

That said, the Elektra was a bit special, and most things would have been overshadowed by that. Hearing those two back-to-back are among my best Proms experiences.
              What surprised me was that most people seemed to prefer the Salome to the Elektra, including several 'prominent' critics.

To my mind, there was no comparison: most of the Salome singers didn't 'act' their roles, as they were holding scores, whereas all the Elektra performers were well 'into' their characters, especially in the sensational confrontation between Elektra and Klytemnestra, where Goerke and Felicity Palmer struck sparks off each other.

Comment

Working...
              X