• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Thurs, 19th Oct

Do we yet know which opera has been voted / chosen for tonight's performance?
    Nothing on the website at all.
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Voting closes at 4 pm today, I believe.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Do we yet know which opera has been voted / chosen for tonight's performance?
      Nothing on the website at all.
      The vote closes at 4pm. I'm not over bothered, and my vote probably won't count anyway. On balance I'd probably vote for the Gounod, on the grounds that I really don't know it at all - never heard nor seen it, while I have seen the others and I was even involved in a production of Tosca once. Having said that I don't think many will vote for Gounod - so (fhg might be surprised ...) of the others I'd actually vote for the Flying Dutchman.

I don't know which versions will be broadcast - the web site simply indicates ROH performances, but presumably there's a large archive of performances in "the library".

I'll click on one of them in the next hour or so.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        The vote closes at 4pm. I'm not over bothered, and my vote probably won't count anyway. On balance I'd probably vote for the Gounod, on the grounds that I really don't know it at all - never heard nor seen it, while I have seen the others and I was even involved in a production of Tosca once. Having said that I don't think many will vote for Gounod - so (fhg might be surprised ...) of the others I'd actually vote for the Flying Dutchman.

I don't know which versions will be broadcast - the web site simply indicates ROH performances, but presumably there's a large archive of performances in "the library".

Will it be translated into Yorkshire dialect is the question - or is that the Flying Scotsman?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Will it be translated into Yorkshire dialect is the question - or is that the Flying Scotsman?
          Possibly not half so surprised as you might be at what fhg himself has voted for - the Gounod, and for most of the reasons you gave in your second sentence - I did see some of it on telly a few years back, with Hvorostovsky in the title role, but that was so dull a performance, I can't believe it was very representative.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            At last week's choir practice, the director said we should sing "ah..." as in "butter".

I was tempted to do just that.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Possibly not half so surprised as you might be at what fhg himself has voted for - the Gounod, and for most of the reasons you gave in your second sentence - I did see some of it on telly a few years back, with Hvorostovsky in the title role, but that was so dull a performance, I can't believe it was very representative.
              I don't think Hvorostovsky was in the title role, was he? He was the cross-dressing Mephistopheles.

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                I don't think Hvorostovsky was in the title role, was he? He was the cross-dressing Mephistopheles.
                Hvorostovsky sang Valentin. The cross-dressing Mephistopheles would have been Mr Terfel. Faust and Margeurite were Alaina and Gheorghui.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                    Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    Hvorostovsky sang Valentin. The cross-dressing Mephistopheles would have been Mr Terfel. Faust and Margeurite were Alaina and Gheorghui.
                    I said I was sure it wasn't representative!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                      Oops! That'll teach me.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

I was right ...!!!!
                        It's a result. Sean Rafferty, host of In Tune, has just anounced that Radio 3 listeners, given a choice of Royal Opera performances of Faust, The Magic Flute, Tosca and The Flying Dutchman, have chosen... Tosca!
                        In the end I was busy and distracted so my fingers didn't get used, but probably wouldn't have made any significant difference. Do we get the voting figures?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

At first I thought ho-hum Tosca . But my word Kaufman is good in this....

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                            At first I thought ho-hum Tosca . But my word Kaufman is good in this....
                            I wonder if they were hoping it would the performance when Gheorghiu was late on stage referred to in the Kaufmann documentary .

Comment

• LHC
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              I wonder if they were hoping it would the performance when Gheorghiu was late on stage referred to in the Kaufmann documentary .
                              The performance when Gheorghui failed to appear on time was in Vienna rather than at the ROH. The incident can be viewed on Youtube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The video includes E Lucevan le stelle, its encore, and then her non-appearance.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                              X