X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Bayreuth Meistersinger

I'm looking forward to Barrie Koskys's 'mindboggling' (Guardian) new Meistersinger from Bayreuth this evening. It starts at 7.15 on 3Sat and can be watched by anyone with an Astra satellite dish. I shall be recording it.
  • Nevilevelis

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    I'm looking forward to Barrie Koskys's 'mindboggling' (Guardian) new Meistersinger from Bayreuth this evening. It starts at 7.15 on 3Sat and can be watched by anyone with an Astra satellite dish. I shall be recording it.
    Oh, you are amazing! Thank you!!

Comment

• Nevilevelis

For those without a satellite dish, it is here!

Comment

• ARBurton
        • May 2011

For anyone who missed it, it`s on ARD Alpha this evening too.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          From my experience Michael Volle is a quite outstanding Hans Sachs! I can highly recommend the DVD/Blu-ray of Volle's performance as Sach's in Stefan Herheim's staging of 'Die Meistersinger' from the Salzburg Festival 2013. I interviewed Volle last September in Berlin and the next day saw him sing Scarpia in 'Tosca' with Angela Gheorghiu in the title role. Marvellous memories!
          Last edited by Stanfordian; 03-08-17, 15:01.

Comment

• Bert Coules
            • Nov 2010

Mindboggling it was, but for all the wrong reasons, alas. "Hey, here's an idea - let's set it at the Nuremberg trials!".

It's not surprising that tickets for this year's festival are still available from the Bayreuth online box office.

Comment

• makropulos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
              Mindboggling it was, but for all the wrong reasons, alas. "Hey, here's an idea - let's set it at the Nuremberg trials!".

It's not surprising that tickets for this year's festival are still available from the Bayreuth online box office.
              Mindboggling indeed and, as a production, jaw-droppingly awful for far too much of the time. On a much more positive note, what a fantastic performance of Sachs, a good Beckmesser, great choral singing and sensitive playing, all very well conducted. I can't wait to listen to this again in audio only as I think I'll probably enjoy it a lot. But as a production...words fail. Kosky has done some impressive work in the past and it'll be interesting to see what he makes of Carmen at the ROH next year, but I'm afraid this Meistersinger left me pondering again the advantages of concert performances.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                • Nov 2010

Besides the Grauniad review that gurnemanz linked to, other reviews have actually been positive:

(a) Financial Times
                (b) New York Times

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post

Tickets available! When did this last happen?

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                    Besides the Grauniad review that gurnemanz linked to, other reviews have actually been positive:

(a) Financial Times
                    (b) New York Times
                    Yes, I know they have. But have you actually seen it? No accounting for taste...

Comment

• Bert Coules
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      Tickets available! When did this last happen?
                      I have a vague memory that last year was the first time. It's all a very far cry from the days when the waiting times were measured in years and there was fierce competition for the very few tickets which the festival made available to Wagner Societies all over the world.

Comment

• Prommer
                        • Dec 2010

It's Castorf's Ring that has done it, largely. Plus a desire to offer some tickets online, to appear more democratic - having cut the allocations to Wagner societies.

Comment

• LHC
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                          It's Castorf's Ring that has done it, largely. Plus a desire to offer some tickets online, to appear more democratic - having cut the allocations to Wagner societies.
                          IIRC the Bavarian Government threatened to remove its funding from the Festival if the allocation of tickets wasn't opened up to the general public. I think there was a Federal Audit which was critical of the Festival because about 60% of the tickets were pre-allocated to 'privileged groups', with the rest going to various Wagner Societies in the ballot. The Festival had to reduce the number of pre-allocated tickets, and also had to make a certain percentage available online to anyone outside the normal ballot.
                          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                          X