• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Kristine Opolais

I think Opolais has to be the greatest dramatic soprano of the moment.

I saw her sing Tosca in a semi-staged concert performance at Llangollen Eisteddfod on Tuesday night: her acting was sensational(bear in mind this is a role where acting is arguably more important than singing) and she sounded totally assured and inside the role. Not a cliched performance, either - she'd obviously done her own thinking about the role.

She's also the only Manon Lescaut I've seen who could convince as a teenager (even though she was in her mid-thirties at the time).

She is singing Elsa in Lohengrin at Covent Garden next year (will this be her first Wagner role?): that will definitely be a performance to catch!
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    I think Opolais has to be the greatest dramatic soprano of the moment.

I saw her sing Tosca in a semi-staged concert performance at Llangollen Eisteddfod on Tuesday night: her acting was sensational(bear in mind this is a role where acting is arguably more important than singing) and she sounded totally assured and inside the role. Not a cliched performance, either - she'd obviously done her own thinking about the role.

She's also the only Manon Lescaut I've seen who could convince as a teenager (even though she was in her mid-thirties at the time).

She is singing Elsa in Lohengrin at Covent Garden next year (will this be her first Wagner role?): that will definitely be a performance to catch!
    Last year I attended a concert in Dresden with Kristine Opolais singing a programme of orchestral songs and she was in marvellous form. I also agree that her Manon Lescaut directed by Jonathan Kent from the Royal Opera House was superb too.

Comment

Working...
    X