Advice Please - Can Local Chorales "Do" Opera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Advice Please - Can Local Chorales "Do" Opera?

My local chorale are holding their Summer Concert "A Night at the Opera" next Saturday at the local church. It will, quote, feature opera choruses including Verdi's Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves and the Anvil Chorus. Tickets £10. Notwithstanding (a) the no doubt wonderful efforts and very good intentions of all involved and (b) it will be tiny bits of operas rather than an opera, what is the usual standard of a local chorale on this sort of occasion? I recognise that the question may well be a "how long is a piece of string" one but I would nevertheless welcome learned opinion on the standard as a general rule. Is it likely to be worth attending or ultimately quite off putting? I really wouldn't want it to have an adverse impact on me.
  • Richard Tarleton

I think you've more or less answered this yourself, Lat - the questions to consider are, will it be well attended anyway, and would your absence be noticed? I had to go to one such not too long ago in our local church, as two sets of neighbours were involved, and it was grim in the extreme. But hugely enjoyable for participants and for the less critical amongst us. Plus you mention it's in church, probably involving pews, which are hideously uncomfortable, and it may well involve being prayed over at the start. I sat near the back where my furious expression wouldn't be noticed.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

I sing in large chorus' (as opposed to "choral societies"). I've not come across any concert in churches in the Home Counties where there are prayers. And many, many churches have replaced pews with flexible and more comfortable chairs - that can be checked out.
      Being lucky enough to live within reach of London, I go to recitals and concerts in London, and R Opera House, etc. But I also support local music making (if I want support from others, I should support them). And most of the time its not grim, but on the whole enjoyable. The only time I find it unacceptable is if the programming was obviously unrealistic - Music Director overreached themself, or the musicians are not giving of their best (so they lose my support). However, if I felt I couldn't approach the concert accepting it in its own terms - amateurs/local semi-professionals - but wanted to apply the same level of criticism as on the South Bank, then I would stay at home, or only go to professional concerts.

Not sure where that puts people in areas where its quite an event to journey to the nearest large city with professional music making. Surely music making is an ecosystem - all those amateur choruses and orchestras etc provide performing opportunities to young professionals - without which all we would get would be a few "blessed by the gods" genius' performers who did not need to build their performing experience and skills.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

So many variables: what kind of occasion, the standard of the singing, the programme, the expectation/standard expected by the individual person attending.

I went once to a similar (possibly not very similar) event in a church. There was nothing 'churchy' about it other than, if I remember, a welcome by one of the clergy. The singing was by members of the WNO chorus - so no problem over the standard of singing. It was well attended by an enthusiastic audience. But the very items that were most enthusiastically received were the reason - or one of the reasons - I, myself, personally, would never have attended again. I didn't really appreciate a programme of arias/duets/choruses from a variety of operas; and I hated the songs from musicals - which most other people seemed particularly to enjoy. I would never say it wasn't 'well worth the money' but not to me. I was invited on that occasion, so I went.

So many variables, plus what kind of thing you would personally enjoy … (hope that helps!)
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Yes - in my own experience, there's no such thing as a "usual standard" for amateur performers; I've attended concerts where the choir has been "elderly but enthusiastic" (quite fun - didn't go again), or "obviously showing off to their friends in the audience" (dire - left at interval), or "doing their best, bless 'em" (worthy - left at interval) - and really quite splendid (joined). The only way to find out, I'm afraid, is to go along if you can afford the tenner and are attracted by the programme ... and expect the worst - that way you can only be pleasantly surprised. (Sometimes it isn't better to travel hopefully!)

And, regardless of the standard of the Music-making, very often the enthusiasm of the performers - and the sight of them giving their all - can be reward in itself.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
            I've not come across any concert in churches in the Home Counties where there are prayers.
            Secular concerts by professional musicians at St David's Cathedral and satellite church venues (e.g. during the Festival) are invariably preceded by prayers - which are themselves preceded by remarks about this being a prayerful community. The forthcoming endeavours of the musicians are prayed for (never sure whether the religious predilections of the musicians have been established beforehand).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              The forthcoming endeavours of the musicians are prayed for
              ... which might have been a good idea for some of the events I mentioned in my last post (which, both literally and metaphorically didn't have a prayer).

Go on, Lats! Go along to the concert and report back here; you've got us all intrigued!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

A lot depends on the make up of the Chorale - is it a well balanced group, voice-wise, or has it loads of women particularly sopranos (wobbly and otherwise) and a shortage of men, particularly tenors?

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Not learned opinion but just a few observations. The standard will depend on the quality of the voices but also, and at least as important, on how capable the MD is; I don't know that there is such a thing as 'usual' in this context. We have all heard 'good' choral groups(of all kinds) perform less than adequately on occasion, despite supposedly having the requisite voices and direction. A motivated well-directed vocal group can put on a performance that is satisfying for most of the audience, not least because enthusiasm and pleasure in what one is doing is infectious, and will offset technical niggles.
                  If it's really unacceptable to you then you can leave at half-time. The tenner will likely go to local good causes or choir funds and so will not really be 'wasted' if you don't stay to the end.
                  The choir I belong to does most of its concerts in churches and we don't usually have 'prayerful' input from the clergy - it's more often the 'welcome to our church' approach and possibly info about facilities and refreshments etc. Pews are uncomfortable(deliberately so I was always led to believe?) and padding is useful, but as noted above many churches have opted for more flexible arrangements.
                  A final thought - getting live music out to audiences is in my book a very worthwhile endeavour and as such deserves to be supported. An evening of 'Best loved opera tunes' might not appeal to those on FoR3 used to the complete thing, but not everyone wants, or is able, to go to a complete opera performance. How sad it would be though not to ever know that within such works are accessible and enjoyable chunks of music.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Wow - also expect "cool" to creep in to my writing now I have been associating with kayak people - when I last looked my new threads the had no replies and now they have a lot.

All the comments are helpful and I am most grateful.

The choir was formed under the name Singing for Pleasure in 1974 when the then organist at a different local church decided to augment the church choir to give a concert. A wide variety of works were performed including a concert version of Carmen and works by Edward German and Lionel Monckton. Two concerts a year were given, with the aim to raise money for charity. The final performance of this era was Judas Maccabeus by Handel, in which seventy choir members took part. A new name, The Philharmonic Society, was given to the choir in 1980. In 1989, there was a new Music Director who sought a new rehearsal venue. The one selected was my local church and there was a further name change to The Chorale.

The current Music Director began his career as a cathedral chorister and went on to study music at the universities of Oxford and Bristol. His teaching career gave him the opportunity to build up successful school choirs as well as working with adult groups. He has been a freelance musician since 2002, conducting choirs, examining for ABRSM, lecturing for the OU's Music department, teaching the piano, writing, composing and arranging. The accompanist began studying music at 7 and has enjoyed participating in choirs, chamber groups, orchestras and bands, as well as writing, performing and recording music. His main instrument is the piano and he also enjoys playing the guitar and bass in various styles from classical to funk and blues to Celtic folk. Music has provided him with the opportunity to enjoy musical adventures, including recording in Studio 2 at Abbey Road and playing festivals in Poland.

The choir is mixed but from the photographs I would say it is mainly women. I have seen a clip of them singing some songs and while not being unpleasant wasn't hugely impressed.

Higher or lower?

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

I fear the biographical details clarify the issue not one jot. Probably lower if anything ....

On balance I feel you should go. If you're totally underwhelmed you can fall back into assessing the best looking person in the choir - confess I rather enjoy playing that little game!! Shocking confession I know ...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        I fear the biographical details clarify the issue not one jot. Probably lower if anything ....

On balance I feel you should go. If you're totally underwhelmed you can fall back into assessing the best looking person in the choir - confess I rather enjoy playing that little game!! Shocking confession I know ...
                        Thanks Alison.

I rang them and they are going to have a ticket there for me in case I suddenly decide to go.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

.......after our discussion, I decided to go.

And I've just returned from it.................a bit more shortly.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Instant coffee with those pink wafers in the interval?

Comment

Working...
                              X