X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgrove
    • Nov 2010

The Exterminating Angel at the ROH

Thomas Ades' latest opera The Exterminating Angel, opens at the ROH on 24th April for 6 performances (plenty of availability I note). When, many years ago, I saw Buñuel’s film on which the opera is based, it didn't make much of an impression, being little more than an essay on civilisation being a veneer. It is not an obvious vehicle for a musical treatment, and that piques the interest - one should keep abreast of the new. Although enthusiastic about Ades' stage works on first exposure, I find they tend to diminish when seen again. Still, it's good that the ROH remains committed to staging new works. Anyone going?
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
    Thomas Ades' latest opera The Exterminating Angel, opens at the ROH on 24th April for 6 performances (plenty of availability I note). When, many years ago, I saw Buñuel’s film on which the opera is based, it didn't make much of an impression, being little more than an essay on civilisation being a veneer. It is not an obvious vehicle for a musical treatment, and that piques the interest - one should keep abreast of the new. Although enthusiastic about Ades' stage works on first exposure, I find they tend to diminish when seen again. Still, it's good that the ROH remains committed to staging new works. Anyone going?
    £96-£120 for most performances. Truly rich, money no object people with an interest in opera may want to go, but I'm guessing that many will be deterred by the prices for something unknown. It's years since I went to something at the ROH, but I did get into Cosi some years ago for not a lot (around £30-£40 IIRC) - so is that not an option for more recent productions? Then there were the very helpful cheap offers - for example Wozzeck in the stalls for around £15 per ticket - brilliant.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Tickets for the production started at £9 in the Balcony and Stalls Circle - but these have, apparently, sold out, as have the £19, £24, £30, £36, £38, and £50 seats. It looks as if, attendance-wise, the work is going to be successful.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

Yes, I am going on the first night. I really enjoyed The Tempest, so I am looking forward to this.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

There are some stalls seats at £60 on a few days - 1, 3, 8 May. Have taken the plunge and will see an earlyish production. The cast is amazing.
          It may be dreadful, but new stuff would never get off the ground if nobody ever went to it. We also have seats for Hamlet at the Sussex place, later this year - another new one.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Really didn't like it too much - maybe I'd have appreciated it more if I'd seen the film on which it largely seems to have been based. The sheep were an amusement - with a Bach reference hidden (perhaps ...!!) in there. I guess virtually all the individual performances were pretty good, but that didn't rescue it for me.

I hope Brett Dean's Hamlet is more enjoyable.

Comment

• Belgrove
              • Nov 2010

Ditto Dave. I tried closing my eyes in an attempt to hear what was being sung without the aid of surtitles, but it could have been in Venusian. I had similar problems with The Tempest.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                Ditto Dave. I tried closing my eyes in an attempt to hear what was being sung without the aid of surtitles, but it could have been in Venusian. I had similar problems with The Tempest.
                Given your problems with The Tempest I'm surprised you went back for more.

Review here - https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ngering-beauty
                Perhaps Leticia (Audrey Luna) really was well sung - but impossible to say really. Her squeaks were presumably supposed to pass for music. Perhaps she would be good in more 'normal" roles, but on this performance it was impossible to say. John Tomlinson had very good diction and I could hear what he was "saying" without the surtitles.

There was significant applause at the end. I am sure the critics are very well respected, but I am inclined to think of Hans Christian Andersen, Emperors and nudism.
                Last edited by Dave2002; 02-05-17, 21:29.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Her squeaks were presumably supposed to pass for music.
                  Or maybe a gate?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                    • Mar 2007

the link is a dud (possibly like the opera itself - it was one I skipped applying for tickets as not appreciating Ades' other work)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Guardian link (Observer). "Compelling" five-star dud, according to Fiona.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Guardian link (Observer). "Compelling" five-star dud, according to Fiona.
                        Just because other people say they appreciated it (I hestitate to ascribe the word "like" to any of them) doesn't mean I liked it much. It did present a kind of intriguing puzzle - fascinating - which was never really resolved IMO. I would rate it as one star, but with a very good cast who sang well - and I don't care if everyone else disagrees with me, esteemed critics who write for newspapers, or others.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Just because other people say they appreciated it (I hestitate to ascribe the word "like" to any of them) doesn't mean I liked it much. It did present a kind of intriguing puzzle - fascinating - which was never really resolved IMO. I would rate it as one star, but with a very good cast who sang well - and I don't care if everyone else disagrees with me, esteemed critics who write for newspapers, or others.
                          Quite right. We're going on Saturday so I can make my own mind up.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Quite right. We're going on Saturday so I can make my own mind up.
                            Do report back. I didn't want to spoil it for you. Perhaps if you've seen the film on which it's based it'll make more sense, or it might be belpful to watch the film before the opera performance if you can find the time.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Do report back. I didn't want to spoil it for you. Perhaps if you've seen the film on which it's based it'll make more sense, or it might be belpful to watch the film before the opera performance if you can find the time.
                              I have seen the film and can remember it quite well considering that I think it must have been at the university film club nearly 50 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X