• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Die Meistersinger Von Nurnberg: Salzburg Festival, August 2013

This 2 DVD set a co-production with the Opera National de Paris, Teatro alla Scala and the Metropolitan Opera is a dazzling, life-enhancing experience, IMV, and may be the most major accomplishment since Peter Brook's RSC production of King Lear in 1962. Yes,perhaps a bit fanciful but every sequence was carefully analysed and stripped to the bone for a sense of emotional truth. I was always aware that a new look at operatic performance was long overdue. We were accustomed to stand and deliver performances totally lacking in plasticity or a sense of ensemble. Changes were certainly underway in the theatre since my years as a thesp when Brook, Joan Littlewood and the Royal Court Theatre were already testing the waters for a change of direction. I've literally been stunned by Stefan Herheim's production as I absorbed the attention to detail over two full viewings, although, initially, I was half-witted in overlooking the 15 mins Making of...documentary and sampling Herheim's charm and steeliness in his direction.

It seems that after Wagner had composed Tristan, he returned to Die Meistersinger and the respectability of the great early romantic masters; Biedermeir, ETA Hoffmann, Wackenroder, and the Brothers Grimm and in the years between 1815-1848, an incredibly turbulent time, Wagner grew up in an age of contradictions - a time when Mendelssohn remembered Bach who had been forgotten for almost a century - Meyerbeer and Spontini were the greatest opera composers at that time. The character of Hans Sachs contains many biographical pointers to Wagner, showing him not as a German renaissance artist, but as a universal thinker developing the ideas of a poet like Goethe of the great Enlightenment thinkers, the German philosophers. Apparently,Wagner spent 35 years working on Die Meistersinger - the work set in a real place at a real time, everything is described in detail; its supposed to be the German renaissance but Wagner uses this Nuremberg of Hans Sachs and Durer to symbolise a new Germany that he hopes still lies in the future with a new culture and a new political order which is actually no longer political but based on artistic ideals and humanitarian principles and he tries to depict this in a work of art, a comedy! Sachs multilayered and magnificently portrayed by Michael Volle as he effortlessly dominates the narrative with his stage presence. In their rehearsal discussions, Stefan Herheim suggests that Volle's inner tempo may be too light, "I'm looking for something weightier, solitary, a tragic potential, the beginning of Act 3 in which he has the most to sing - the prelude before the curtain rises on his workshop and you get the incredible 'Wahn' monologue and Sachs recalls everything that happened on the previous night and in the riot scene, he thinks wistfully of Eva and his subsequent renunciation of her"; I was moved to tears at this point by his burning anger and froze when he savagely cuffed David as he ended his apprenticeship, an end to another relationship as he becomes a journeyman. Don't think I've ever seen this scene so poignant before. But, good man, he was careful to remain in full control of his feelings for Sachs. Thrilling to see. However, I'm a bit nervous of losing this copy so will take a tea break before returning to the exquisite design throughout. To be continued...
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Continuing... Before discussing performance preferences, I wanted to return to the quite novel production design and the superb wit behind its functioning. The stage at the Salzburg Festspielhause is quite wide and my heart sank at the first sight of Sachs, in nightshirt, separating the traverse transparent curtain during the Prelude so that we could see his sparsely furnished workshop with its bureau at its centre. He produced a set of building blocks from his childhood, a lookback at the past, before the bureau and blocks were hugely magnified and repositioned by the chorus. Here, again, I wrongly anticipated a great deal of clatter during the changeover; neat transformations to a church, or the hall where Beckmesser would mark the faults during colour or texture imperfections However, I assume that the large chorus, more than one hundred, wore treated footwear, almost sound free. The tech rehearsals must have
    been fun or testy! The costumes, too, slotted well into the 1815-1848 period described above, although I had m'doots about Walter's uniform which looked more suited to a touring version of The Student Prince. Nevertheless, such a classy production.

I mentioned the indelible impression made by Michael Volle earlier, a formidable actor singer but must add the weedy, slim figure of Markus Werba as Beckmesser, his farcical antics with Volle made me LOL several times in their Act II confrontation; Peter Sonn's apprentice, David, delivered the sprightly pace and energy to lessen the Act 1 longuers and he was well partnered by his partner, Monika Bohinec as Magdalene. A lovely ensemble, listening to each other. Anna Gabler's Eva seemed a bit penny plain to me. I vividly recall from all the live performances I've seen, Lucia Popp as Eva as the most enchanting at Covent Garden with Linda Esther Gray in the same role in 1976, Scottish Opera production- Alex Gibson.

The VPO, Daniele Gatti also on top form in a production which has thrilled me in so many aspects and is scheduled for another viewing tonight.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Stanley - Thanks for the writeup! Have now ordered Meistersinger. It better be as classy a production as you say it is.

I've got a CD but feel it's one of those operas you need to see. I still remember the outstanding Graham Vick production at the ROH in the nineties.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Thanks, Pianorak - I live in fear & trembling!

Thanks, too, for mentioning the name of Graham Vick in connection with the ROH production of the 90s - Hans Sotin & Lucia Popp as Eva. Sumptuous.

Comment

Working...
        X