X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Semiramide in Munich

I have been "on Twitter" for just over a week, and already it has yielded great fruits. One of these was the discovery that last Saturday evening, the German station BR Klassik was streaming the premiere of the new production of Rossini's Semiramide, live from the Bayerische Staatsoper. This had a fabulous cast including Joyce DiDonato singing the title role. So while my video was recording Das Rheingold, I was wallowing in superb Rossini.

I have just discovered that this performance is still available, here: https://www.operamusica.com/company/...oper/news/4196 . Semiramide is one of my top favourites in opera. It is very rarely done, especially with such a great cast. We were lucky to have the superb OAE performance in the Proms last summer - and now lucky to have this marvellous performance from Munich so soon afterwards.
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Thanks for this heads-up, David-G. It's a great opera, that is an excellent cast, and I will find the time to listen to it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Did he ever get around to writing a whole ramide?

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
        I have just discovered that this performance is still available, here: https://www.operamusica.com/company/...oper/news/4196 .
        I tried once, and got the initial announcement but then was told that the content wouldn't play. Tried again, and get nothing at all.

Very disappopinting!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
          I tried once, and got the initial announcement but then was told that the content wouldn't play. Tried again, and get nothing at all.

Very disappopinting!
          Just tried it, and it's working for me.

Comment

• David-G
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by jean View Post

Very disappointing!
            How curious! It worked fine for me last night. I will investigate when I get home this evening.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Did he ever get around to writing a whole ramide?
              I think Guillaume Tell would qualify as "the full Ramide" from Rossini, as his grandest opera. That aside, the Metropolitan Opera just announced its 2017-2018 season today, and Semiramide is on the roster. As well, this production will be HD'ed to cinemas on March 10, 2018.

Comment

• David-G
                • Mar 2012

I tried it just now, and it works with no problem. I was listening to the initial blurb, and noticed this: "A co-production with the Royal Opera House Covent Garden". Now that is something to look forward to!

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

I tried it just now, and it works with no problem. I was listening to the initial blurb, and noticed this: "A co-production with the Royal Opera House Covent Garden". Now that is something to look forward to!
                  Thanks so much for this link - an absolute delight!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Rumoured for next season with the same three leads. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                    X