• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Billy Budd; Opera North

This is a difficult one for me. A superb production - excellent sets (by Leslie Travers); superb singing from everybody - chorus and soloists alike (although Roderick Williams in the title role had difficulties being heard in the louder passages; didn't half make up for it in Billy's final soliloquy, though!); splendid conducting from Gary Walker (who kept the momentum up throughout without forcing the pace); and terrific playing from the ON orchestra (with the occasional exception of the trumpets who had occasional - but very noticeable - flaws of both intonation and ensemble: the thirty-odd chords scene in Act Two really suffered as a result - beautifully staged as it was by director Orpha Phelan) - and some of Britten's very best Music. It is remarkable how scrupulously he mines his resources, getting jaw-dropping new sounds from "traditional" "Tonal" (with and without the inverted commas) mixtures.

But ... there is much in this work that (for reasons I can't quite put my finger on) I find as repellent as I do engrossing; and sometimes the same Music can do both at the same time in a way that makes me feel quite queasy. The claustrophobic atmosphere of much of the first half of Act One (the original Act One, I suppose) perfectly encapsulates the closed, brutal, sado-eroticism of the ship's community - exactly right, but nasty: fascinatingly repugnant. (I feel a similar queasiness in The Turn of the Screw, though ... so it's not just that community .... ) And much of the text doesn't work (for me) aside from the Music - the action sort of stalls in the second half of Act One (the original Act Two?) from Claggart's monologue - there's a sort of Todd Slaughter unintended (?) humour in this melodrama - and as an insight into Claggart's psyche, I find it inadequate (the Music, too, doesn't seem to "fit" with what we've been hearing up to that point, too) and "hammy". And the decision to cut Vere's "rallying the troops" from the original Act One leaves a character whose timid behaviour left me wondering just why the crew hold him in such affection. And ONE punch from Billy kills Claggart???!!! (This production made Billy's physical strength clear, with a wrestling scene - but Claggart's a big guy; Billy needs to be holding something, or Claggart needs to strike his head on something as he falls. As it is, it looked a bit comical.)

And yet, and yet, and yet ... for all my frustration with the texts, the overall achievement of the thing overcame them at the last ... just.

The grand Theatre in Leeds was about half-full, with only about a third of the seats near me taken. This didn't prevent the largest man in the building from sitting exactly in front of me - had there been more seats sold, I would have had to have sat at an angle of 90degrees to see around him. Fortunately, I was able to move to another seat where I had a direct sightline to the stage. Not that that was the end of my "connection" with the chap - just before Claggart's soliloquy, the "MacDonald's Whistle" was clearly heard - the big man's Mobile ringtone!!! AND the enormous twonk actually booed Alistair Miles [Claggart] at his curtain-call as if he were at a flippin' PANTOMIME!!! I arsks yer ... but there's no reply!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • nersner
    • Dec 2010

Was this the Thursday 27th performance? I was at the Tuesday 18th and immediately tried to book Thursday only to find the front stalls full.
    From row H I was hearing such lovely details from the orchestra and I really wanted to get a front row seat.
    I don't recall this from the Kent Nagano cd or the Glyndebourne dvd so can anyone suggest a better recording?

Comment

• kuligin
      • Nov 2010

Ferney your comments resonate with my many of my feelings about this performance, although it was the first time I have heard the work and do not have your knowledge of the two versions.

I thought it was a goodish straight forward production, with the contrast in conditions between the lower and upper decks clearly made (apropos of which Britten seems to always escape the worst of Regie imposed on Handel and Rossini, not that I am advocating Billy in a nuclear submarine!) but a little static in the engagement with the French ship and why were the walls of battered room that were used in the prologue always there, surely we all knew it was a flashback.

Solo singing good and at times very good, I thought Oke sounded quite a bit like Pears although unlike Pears occasionally stretched in the highest notes, but with excellent diction, so the lack of surtitles was a good call. Williams gave a very fine performance and such a good stage presence.

The programme said the chorus has been recently expanded to 35 and they gave an excellent performance, but last year I saw Attila in Bologna and there were at least a 100 Huns on the albeit larger stage. Is it just a bigger subsidy or do they have a large amateur pool to enlarge the chorus.

Orchestra and conductor excellent and yes there is some excellent music in parts particularly for Vere and the chorus yet there is something I don't like about the piece, inspiration seems fitful, Claggart's music does not come across to me on a first hearing as dark or homo erotic in fact often rather dull, its the text that hints at those aspects. My main criticism is not that this opera is not stageworthy, but that we have had an excess of Britten in recent years, and not only in Leeds, I know my taste is a little unusual but I found the Pilgrims Progress at ENO a far greater piece. But I suppose if one can not fill the theatre for Britten the chances of hearing Henze Dallapiccola and Tippett to mention 3 composers who wrote excellent operas in the 1950s are pretty slim.

As for one punch, it does happen, I recall reading a recent manslaughter trial where someone threw a single punch at a friend in an argument and killed him.

Last Friday about two thirds full where I sat, audience listening intently and able to follow every word but some fools booed Claggart too. Why do they admit with attendant whispers , creaks etc latecomers? It does not happen at Covent Garden or ENO and Leeds is HQ and has the feel of an opera house not the temporary use of a theatre as elsewhere.

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

The Don was booed in the ON production of Don Giovanni when I saw it at Leeds and I recall that it didn't bother me. But that may have been because DG is, basically, a 'comic opera'. BB, on the other hand, is anything but.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
          ... why were the walls of battered room that were used in the prologue always there, surely we all knew it was a flashback.
          Yes - they were meant to double as sails, but the effect didn't quite convince.

I thought Oke sounded quite a bit like Pears although unlike Pears occasionally stretched in the highest notes, but with excellent diction
          Agree on all counts.

so the lack of surtitles was a good call.
          Ah - they were there last night; completely redundant in the solo material as Britten made sure that it could be clearly heard - and risible in the chorus work, where they tried to keep up with the delivery of the text, and got left behind, Corporal Jones-like.

The programme said the chorus has been recently expanded to 35 and they gave an excellent performance, but last year I saw Attila in Bologna and there were at least a 100 Huns on the albeit larger stage. Is it just a bigger subsidy or do they have a large amateur pool to enlarge the chorus.
          I don't think so - certainly when the company was established in 1978, the chorus and orchestra were both proudly announced (by David Lloyd-Jones) to be professional bodies.

Orchestra and conductor excellent and yes there is some excellent music in parts particularly for Vere and the chorus yet there is something I don't like about the piece, inspiration seems fitful, Claggart's music does not come across to me on a first hearing as dark or homo erotic in fact often rather dull, its the text that hints at those aspects. My main criticism is not that this opera is not stageworthy, but that we have had an excess of Britten in recent years, and not only in Leeds, I know my taste is a little unusual but I found the Pilgrims Progress at ENO a far greater piece. But I suppose if one can not fill the theatre for Britten the chances of hearing Henze Dallapiccola and Tippett to mention 3 composers who wrote excellent operas in the 1950s are pretty slim.

As for one punch, it does happen, I recall reading a recent manslaughter trial where someone threw a single punch at a friend in an argument and killed him.
          UKIP members take note! Yes, I suppose it must depend on where the blow lands - and the health and fitness of the blowee; but Claggart's a big strong boy ...
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Ah - they were there last night; completely redundant in the solo material as Britten made sure that it could be clearly heard - and risible in the chorus work, where they tried to keep up with the delivery of the text, and got left behind, Corporal Jones-like.
            Surtitles weren't used for Peter Grimes last year and I believe there were complaints about this, although again I don't think that they were needed
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• nersner
              • Dec 2010

My main criticism would be of the story, wouldn't it be better if the punch didn't kill him.
              He could be arguing for the death sentence at the drum-head court, simply repeating the articles of war and at the end just face the audience with a slight smile.

An excess of Britten operas is just not possible, in my opinion.
              I would place them above nearly all other operas for the impact, the way they tear away at my emotions.
              I can't explain it but ever since The Rape of Lucretia at ENO many years ago they draw me in like a moth to a flame.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by nersner View Post

I would place them above nearly all other operas for the impact, the way they tear away at my emotions.
                I can't explain it but ever since The Rape of Lucretia at ENO many years ago they draw me in like a moth to a flame.
                I agree. They are haunting. I can't explain it either, but I think it's something to do with the fact that they tend to be full of ambiguity, so leave the audience with a lot to think about. The more you hear them, the more you find in them. For me Peter Grimes was the first, when I was in my early twenties many, many years ago. Lucretia was the last one I got to know.

I'm not going to the Opera North Billy Budd, though I am intrigued by the idea of Roderick Williams as Billy, even if he is far too old. I am surprised to hear praise of Alan Oke as Vere, because I wasn't impressed by his Aschenbach, and there is a lot of similarity between the two characters.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by nersner View Post
                  I can relate to that Although I've only ever attended a couple of concert performances,never a fully staged one,so just from cds and radio broadcasts
                  Hopefully I'm going to put that right on 10/11 with Billy Budd at The Lowry.
                  Thanks for all the reviews folks.

Comment

• Daniel
                    • Jun 2012

But ... there is much in this work that (for reasons I can't quite put my finger on) I find as repellent as I do engrossing; and sometimes the same Music can do both at the same time in a way that makes me feel quite queasy.The claustrophobic atmosphere of much of the first half of Act One ... perfectly encapsulates the closed, brutal, sado-eroticism of the ship's community - exactly right, but nasty: fascinatingly repugnant
                    It's surely intended to be both repellent and engrossing, and Britten consummately encapsulates both these elements in the music, it's a masterpiece of baleful atmosphere. Though perhaps as you use the word 'queasy', you mean it goes beyond a portrayal and is simply repellent.

Britten's music does often feel claustrophobic to me. He seems to derive much inspiration from the different tensions found in that state, and it seems to represent a heightened state of sensibility, producing vivid and arresting responses from him.

And the decision to cut Vere's "rallying the troops" from the original Act One leaves a character whose timid behaviour left me wondering just why the crew hold him in such affection.
                    I agree, though I've never heard the original. I really would like to.

Comment

• Conchis
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2014

Saw the production this evening in Nottingham. Enjoyable but not as moving as it should be, despite Roderick Williams' heartbreaking performance. As a production, not a patch on Francesca Zambello's marvellous ROH production of a few years ago.

Disappointed that we didn't see Billy swinging from the yardarm, as in the Covent Garden production: that made for a very affecting tableau.

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

I see Opera North's BB will be broadcast this coming Saturday 26th.

Britten's Billy Budd in a new production from Opera North at Leeds Grand Theatre.
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                          I see Opera North's BB will be broadcast this coming Saturday 26th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b083qmvw
                          but having seen this in Salford not sure I'm emotionally up for listening again so soon

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post

Disappointed that we didn't see Billy swinging from the yardarm, as in the Covent Garden production: that made for a very affecting tableau.
                            It terrified me at the time: it was so realistically done by Simon Keenlyside that I genuinely thought that something had gone horribly wrong.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                              It terrified me at the time: it was so realistically done by Simon Keenlyside that I genuinely thought that something had gone horribly wrong.
                              Yes that was terrific (in every sense) wasn't it....
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X