X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc
    • Sep 2024

The Mikado - recent revival

I can't find the original thread, but I wrote some months ago about my enjoyable evening at ENO for Miller's Mikado revival. I had seen the original on the television several times, but found this update to be a wonderful night at the theatre.

I noticed that The Mikado was shown on Sky Arts last weekend. Expecting it to be the old version, I recorded it, with no great enthusiasm. When I decided to watch it last evening, I was delighted to find that it is the recent version, complete with Richard Suart's topical little list (Cameron, Corbyn, VW emissions and so on).

I wondered if others might like to be alerted to the availability of this production. I think it's due to be repeated this weekend.
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    I can't find the original thread, but I wrote some months ago about my enjoyable evening at ENO for Miller's Mikado revival. I had seen the original on the television several times, but found this update to be a wonderful night at the theatre.

I noticed that The Mikado was shown on Sky Arts last weekend. Expecting it to be the old version, I recorded it, with no great enthusiasm. When I decided to watch it last evening, I was delighted to find that it is the recent version, complete with Richard Suart's topical little list (Cameron, Corbyn, VW emissions and so on).

I wondered if others might like to be alerted to the availability of this production. I think it's due to be repeated this weekend.
    Hiya VodkaDilc,

I watched the Sky transmission and really enjoyed it and the resetting of the work away from Japan to a 1930s English seaside hotel was better than I expected. This much revived Jonathan Miller’s production now 30 years old has been described as "part Noel Coward, part Marx Brothers, part Busby Berkeley tap-dance routine." My goodness it seems especially camped-up!

Comment

Working...
    X