Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Garsington Onegin

perusing the BBC website, I came across this, if its of interest

don't know how long it will be available for
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Hijacking and recycling an old thread, as per BSP's usual practice, but for a (hopefully) good reason, even if with a slightly tenuous connection, as through the Opera Vision website, two Garsington Opera productions are available for streaming during pandemic time:

1. The Bartered Bride (through 29 May 2020, 12 PM CET): https://operavision.eu/en/library/pe...rsington-opera

2. The Marriage of Figaro (through 25 September 2020, 12 PM CET): https://operavision.eu/en/library/pe...rsington-opera

And if you want to see Eugene Onegin from another company, the Komische Oper Berlin has their Barrie Kosky production available to watch via streaming:

Comment

• Pianoman
      • Jan 2013

The Garsington Figaro is outstanding, probably the best I’ve seen. Bartered is very enjoyable though I didn’t know it as well so maybe not best placed to pass judgement...
      Just about to start the Berlin Onegin when I’ve finished the thrilling Shostakovich Lady Macbeth from Dutch Opera, superb central performances and conducting from Jansons.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

The title of this thread reads like a name for an imaginary character in a Hogarth painting!

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          The title of this thread reads like a name for an imaginary character in a Hogarth painting!
          ... but no character in a Hogarth wd stop at One gin

Comment

• bluestateprommer
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
            The Garsington Figaro is outstanding, probably the best I’ve seen. Bartered is very enjoyable though I didn’t know it as well so maybe not best placed to pass judgement...
            I actually hadn't been aware of the Garsington Figaro at all prior to finding it via the Opera Vision site, but your laudatory comment prompts me to note it for future watching.

Agree with you on the Garsington production of The Bartered Bride, my own second experience of the complete opera in about 2 weeks. It turned out to be fortunate, in its way, that I saw the streamed Bavarian State Opera production first, because the Garsington production turned out to be much more enjoyable, if for no other reason that to hear the opera in the original Czech, vs. the German translation used in Munich. In terms of the drama, one issue in the German translation is that the surprise family plot twist is conveyed much too early in the German translation, and thus impacts the view of Marie's behavior in the German translation vs. Mařenka's behavior in the original Czech version.

One droll aspect of the Garsington version is the clearly English touches of the staging, particularly in Act II (2nd part of "Part 1") with the pub setting, like the picture of the young HRH QE II over the one door, even though everyone is singing in Czech. Another droll aspect (musical spoiler alert) is the use of another Smetana work as "interlude" music between Acts I and II, namely a section of "Sarka" from Ma Vlast, the section which ends in the male warriors getting drunk prior to Sarka's attack on them, which actually makes for a wry reflection terms of the opera's plot in Act II, come to think of it.

Comment

• Pianoman
              • Jan 2013

Yes I guess these are the sort of anomalies that come with any updating, though it was great fun watching the entire company doing the scene change to the pub. I did very much enjoy it and agree about the Czech v German.

Comment

• Constantbee
                • Jul 2017

Forgive me if you know this already but according to a mailing I received from Garsington this week, Onegin is scheduled for performance again in 2021. Clips from the 2016 production (Roderick Williams as a very fine Onegin) are still available on Youtube.

This is an opera company that impresses me, not only for the performances but also for their community and interpretative outreach, especially under current conditions. The online streamed Turn of the Screw (Dir. Louisa Muller) is one of the best productions I've seen to date, visually stunning, the staging making the most of the available natural light from the glass sided theatre, and with particularly fine performances from the children. Adriann Forbes-Dorrant was outstanding as Flora and clearly has a great future. Still free to view on YT ufn.

Garsington's The Skating Rink by David Sawyer/Rory Mullarky first heard on Opera on Three is also still available to view on YT. It's a compact and very engaging operatic whodunnit based on the book of the same name by Chilean author Roberto Bolaño, and yes there is a real live figure skater live on stage, presumably a double for the singer. So, that's how they did it! I never knew
                And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• crb11
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                  This is an opera company that impresses me, not only for the performances but also for their community and interpretative outreach, especially under current conditions. The online streamed Turn of the Screw (Dir. Louisa Muller) is one of the best productions I've seen to date, visually stunning, the staging making the most of the available natural light from the glass sided theatre, and with particularly fine performances from the children. Adriann Forbes-Dorrant was outstanding as Flora and clearly has a great future. Still free to view on YT ufn.
                  We saw this yesterday as it happens. (I'd been catching up on the recent BAL and wondered what was available for streaming.) Would agree on the points you make, together with Quint. I didn't think the Governess was always quite up to the standards of everything else (and her diction wasn't great in places), but doesn't detract much from things overall.

Garsington seem to be putting things up for six months, so this runs out on December 19 (Figaro September 25 and the Skating Rink December 8). See https://www.garsingtonopera.org/at-home for details.

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    . .. but no character in a Hogarth wd stop at One gin
                    Can't let that one pass without acknowledgement!

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X