• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Mark Simpson: Pleasure

Recent thread reminds me that Mark Simpson, whose chamber opera Pleasure I'm seeing tonight, was Young Musician of the year in 2006.

The Guardian and the Telegraph do not see eye to eye...
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Rupert Christiansen rarely sees eye to eye with anyone. Generally speaking, the more negative he is about an opera or a production, the more inclined I am to go and see it.

Mark Simpson was interviewed about Pleasure on Music Matters on Saturday. Worth a listen (if you haven't already) before you go, I'd say.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Thanks, I'll look that out. Actually it's tomorrow I'm seeing it - it's at the Liverpool Playhouse for one night.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
        The Telegraph at least attempts some description of the sound of the Music: the Guardian sticks with the libretto and plot. I'd be very interested to read your own response, jean.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          Recent thread reminds me that Mark Simpson, whose chamber opera Pleasure I'm seeing tonight, was Young Musician of the year in 2006.

...not for the first time, methinks...

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

I try to follow Mark Simpson's career. Not long after he won the Young Musician of the Year I attended one of his recitals at Lake District Summer Music and his technique was amazing. I don't hear of him now for his clarinet playing as he seems to be concentrating on composition and has received a number of prestigious commissions.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Fiona Maddocks also liked it in the Observer as did Tom Service on R3 Music Matters though he discussed it with another critic whose name I did not catch who thought it was promising but not a complete success .

Comment

Working...
              X