X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Boris from ROH

Does anyone know which orchestration we'll be getting for the Bryn Terfel Boris in March?

(Not that I'm booking CG seats but I am hoping to get to a local cinema screening. The running time is said to be about 2 hours so I'm guessing this'll be one of the shorter, earlier versions?)
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • Nevilevelis

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    Does anyone know which orchestration we'll be getting for the Bryn Terfel Boris in March?

(Not that I'm booking CG seats but I am hoping to get to a local cinema screening. The running time is said to be about 2 hours so I'm guessing this'll be one of the shorter, earlier versions?)
    Last thing I heard it was 1 hr 40 mins without interval. Not sure of the orchestration. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Seems to be the 1869 version with Mussorgsky's own orchestration -

"Another warhorse is replaced, this time a much loved one, as Richard Jones directs a new production of Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov with Antonio Pappano conducting and Bryn Terfel in the title role, with John Graham Hall as Shuisky, Ain Anger as Pimen, John Tomlinson as Varlaam and Andrew Tortise as the Simpleton. Expect a thrillingly bumpy ride from this combination of director and singers. I understand that the more compact original 1869 version is being used, so the original orchestration by Mussorgsky, but without the Polish act and the Kromy Forest scene, which is an interesting change from the previous production which almost used every note that Mussorgsky wrote."

( http://www.planethugill.com/2015/04/...aas-royal.html )

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Thanks nv and scb. Not a long night then (good thing possibly; a bit dangerous for Cornish residents to be caught out late in Devon).

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          Thanks nv and scb. Not a long night then (good thing possibly; a bit dangerous for Cornish residents to be caught out late in Devon).
          Perhaps one ought to ask why this sort of basic information is not available on the ROH website.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            Perhaps one ought to ask why this sort of basic information is not available on the ROH website.
            I wonder if they take it for granted that Cornish residents* know this already?

(* - and, indeed, "residents of Cornwall".)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• subcontrabass
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I wonder if they take it for granted that Cornish residents* know this already?

But what about those of us who live elsewhere?

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Is it to be broadcast on Radio 3?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

But what about those of us who live elsewhere?
                  I don't think it's as dangerous for us to be caught out late in Devon?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

I don't think it's as dangerous for us to be caught out late in Devon?
                    The duration IS specified. What is missing is the information about which version they will be using in order for the performance to be completed within the specified time.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                      • Jan 2014

Strange casting, with a baritone Boris! Sir John Tomlinson is one of the great Borises of recent years so it comes as a surprise to see him listed as Varlaam. However, he is probably nearing the end of his career so Boris may now be too tiring a role for him. If you want to hear him as Boris (albeit in English), I suggest the Chandos recording of the Opera North production (please can ON revive this?) conducted by Paul Daniel. This also presents most of Musorgsky's (NB: only one s in the Cyrillic, why do most people continue to use a German transliteration of his name) 1869 orchestration. As this is one of my favourite operas I will certainly look out for it at a cinema near me!

Comment

• CallMePaul
                        • Jan 2014

I have looked on the Home website (http://homemcr.org/film/roh-live-boris-godunov/) and this lists the duratioin of the screening as 180 min, rather longer than the 100 min suggested in earlier posts. However, Fedor/ Fyodor is cast as a breeches role for a mezzo (Emily Edmonds, of whom I know nothing), suggesting the first, shorter version. I guess we will have to wait and see what is performed on the night!
                        Last edited by CallMePaul; 11-01-16, 12:44.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                          I have looked on the Home website (http://homemcr.org/film/roh-live-boris-godunov/) and this lists the duratioin of the screening as 180 min, rather longer than the 100 min suggested in earlier posts.
                          That information is at variance with the ROH website ( http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/bo...-richard-jones ) which gives a running time of about 2 hours with no interval.

Comment

• Giacomo
                            • Dec 2012

Good question. There is rarely enough basic information from the ROH perhaps because had there been full disclosure for Guillaume Tell I wouldn't have gone. As a result of the lack of discloser and being duped into going to GT I'm now not risking the ROH Boris Godunov. Not only does it not say which version is presented but no indication whether the production features Russians in large hats or pieces of fruit in a liquidiser - traditional or avant-garde. What do the spinning tops in the only picture signify?

Compare:

with:

...ah that's clearer.

Checking my CDs, Gergiev's 1997 double dose gives the 1869 version at 2:07 so 2 hours with no interval is believable.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

That was indeed what I should have written

Comment

Working...
                              X