X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Chorus singing in Verdi

The very posh English sounds in this ( just played on Breakfast)

Giuseppe Verdi. Aida: Gloria all'Egitto (Grand March) (Act II)

and in particular the perfectly enunciated Gloria’s made think what choir could be doing this . Surely not the ROH chorus . It was more like St Pauls Evensong than Ancient Egypt . Turned out to be :

Orchestra: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Choir: Royal Choral Society. Conductor: Owain Arwel Hughes.

It also got me thinking what is the right “accent “ for singing this bit of Verdi’s Aida : Italian , Cockney , Egyptian ?
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Veronese? It's probably performed in the arena at Verona more often than anywhere else!

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

Your question about pronunciation in Aida reminded me of this fascinating Insights programme from the Royal Opera House.

Join cast and creatives to explore Verdi’s timeless opera, as it returns to the main stage for the second run of this new production. Aida returns to the Mai...

In the second half of the programme (from about the 30 minute mark), Mark Elder and Matteo Dalle Fratte (Covent Garden's Italian language coach) discuss the importance of Italian pronunciation and diction in Verdi's operas. By happy chance, this is done as part of a discussion about Aida.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LHC View Post
        Your question about pronunciation in Aida reminded me of this fascinating Insights programme from the Royal Opera House.

Join cast and creatives to explore Verdi’s timeless opera, as it returns to the main stage for the second run of this new production. Aida returns to the Mai...

In the second half of the programme (from about the 30 minute mark), Mark Elder and Matteo Dalle Fratte (Covent Garden's Italian language coach) discuss the importance of Italian pronunciation and diction in Verdi's operas. By happy chance, this is done as part of a discussion about Aida.
        Thanks great post !

Comment

• Simon Biazeck
          • Jul 2020

I was going to mention Matteo Dalle Fratte. He is one of the Italian language coaches at the ROH. His approach was new to us and had its uses for choral singing. I recognized it from Italian recitative where natural speech rhythm is the key. The Italian singer in the cast certainly didn't exemplify his approach, though.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
            I was going to mention Matteo Dalle Fratte. He is one of the Italian language coaches at the ROH. His approach was new to us and had its uses for choral singing. I recognized it from Italian recitative where natural speech rhythm is the key. The Italian singer in the cast certainly didn't exemplify his approach, though.
            If you hear Pavarotti’s Italian singing it sounds (attractively) regional - that shu sound he uses sound in “bacio scioglierà” in Nessun Dorma - no one does it like that (leaving aside the notes ! )

Comment

Working...
            X