• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Operatic Extravagance

ENO being put into 'special measures' has caused me to muse on the profligacy of the subsidised arts generally.

Don't get me wrong: I can well believe that 'minor reps' up and down the country are short of cash. However, a recent experience courtesy of the Royal Opera House got me thinking....

Just before Christmas 2013, a friend and I took in a performacne of Parsifal at that theatre. As it was Christmas, we booked a table in the restaurant and enjoyed starter, main and desert before and between the acts. The bill wasn't all THAT horrendous (but probably would have been if we'd had a bottle of wine) and the meal and service were excellent.

About a month later, my friend (who'd made the booking) received a letter from Kasper Holten, asking him if he'd like to 'contribute' to some projected productions. The figures quoted were eye-watering: '£1,000', Kasper informed him, 'would 'help' with the costume for Daland in the forthcoming Hollander'; £550 would help for 'half an hour' of stage piano rehearsals' and so on and so forth.

Things have come to a pretty pass when it takes more than £1K to partly-clothe a stage character: and I'd imagine no one in the audience would be aware how costly the costume was.

Without wishing to sound too draconian, I think a lot of companies may well be shoving money where they don't need it.
Working...
X