X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Cheaper seats at ENO

Being above a certain age, I have been able to buy cheaper seats at ENO over the last couple of years by turning up a few hours before the performance. However this hasn't always happened, due to some almost sell out productions, where the policy seems to have changed, though I've always managed to get a reasonable seat, at a reasonable price by this strategy.

I'm thinking of going to the Indian Queen, and wondering if this approach is still likely to work. Personally I think it will, though last time I went to a performance at the ENO the person sitting next to me (near the front of the dress circle if I remember correctly) also commented on the lack of availability of reduced price tickets, and "having" to compromise to get a reasonable seat.

One friend I might go with seems to want to pay £105 just to be sure of getting in, but he may well be a lot richer than I am, and I don't think it's necessary to pay that much. I don't mind paying £50 or so for a reasonable seat.

Before anyone suggests going up to the balcony - I'll say I've done that many times in the past. Nowadays the legs creak climbing up that far, and perhaps more importantly, I and others we tend to go with, find the seats very uncomfortable.
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Dave
    ENO's (in my view insane) pricing policy means that there will very often be discounts available near the date of the performance if you know where to look. Subscribing to the Time Out offers email is one possibility. Today I picked up two dress circle seats for Meistersinger for £37.80 each, a 40% discount for a show which I would have expected to be a sell-out. I would imagine that the seats are reasonable - not top quality, but better than the balcony and certainly more comfortable for a long evening. I might well have done better if I'd looked around a bit, but I thought those worth snapping up. With offers like that available a couple of weeks or more in advance of a performance, I think it unlikely that there'll be bargains available if you turn up on the day, but that's for an extremely well-reviewed Meistersinger. I decided that I'd rather take what was on offer today than run the risk of nothing being available later.

I'd be prepared to bet that the Indian Queen will be less popular, and that you will be able to pick up a bargain nearer the time.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X