X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pilamenon
    • Nov 2010

Orlando Fabuloso

On a real high after seeing Vivaldi's Orlando Furioso at the Barbican with the acclaimed Ensemble Matheus and their crack team of soloists (Cangemí, Jaroussky, Lemieux). Some of you will remember their late-nighter at the Proms, and I'd been looking forward to this ever since.

Jaroussky was magnificent in 'Sol da Te, mio Dolce Amore' and 'Come l'Onda', as was Lemieux in 'Nel Profondo' and Cangemí in 'Chiara al Pari di Lucida Stella'. I found Lemieux mainly riveting, though perhaps slightly too relentlessly OTT, in her enactment of Orlando's madness. There were no major weaknesses, and Franziska Gottwald did a fine job as a late substitute in the role of Alcina (standing in for Jennifer Larmore no less). Ensemble Matheus are just outstanding, and the double bass continuo leader was a particular star on this occasion. The second half does eventually begin to drag a bit, but there is so much good drama, music and singing that I must look out for other Vivaldi operas.

So exhilarated afterwards I almost considered buying the CD and getting Jaroussky's autograph on it, but then saw the size of the queue...

Did any other punters go?

• MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Lucky Pilamenon, I would love to have been there! The recording has been on my shopping list for a while, so reading your hearty endorsement, I really must buy it without further ado. I already have "Tito Manlio" in the Naive Vivaldi Opera edition, and that has some great things in it, too. Alas, so many operas, such little time and such restricted budgets!

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Pilamenon
      I have been looking forward to reading your report ever since you said you’d booked to see the performance after that memorable Prom. Very glad to hear that Jaroussky was still as good as ever. I wasn’t over-impressed by his Caldara CD. Perhaps it’s the music. Thank you for the review. And Pilamenon, tighten your purse string if you are going to look into Vivaldi Operas

Comment

• amateur51

Great review pilamenon!

It has spurred me on to investigate this music further, with an eye on the Ensemble Matheus.

Many thanks

Comment

• pilamenon
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the replies, hope you find it as rewarding as I do. Vivaldi's operas should be seen and heard more often!

Jaroussky's voice and his feeling for the music make him spellbinding to watch at times. But this was a team effort.

Another source of satisfaction was that I took a friend who doesn't really get baroque, and he really enjoyed it.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
            • Mar 2007

I was there last night as well and my Opera Britannia review has just been published: http://tinyurl.com/Orlandof
            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Ah! It wasn’t there ten minutes ago. A great review.

Here are some video clips of a staged performance. It must be quite a feat to pull off such a convoluted plot without the visual effects. Time we heard a lot more of JCS & Ensemble Matheus
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                • Mar 2007

Now it would be rather lovely if that performance found its way onto dvd.
                Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                  I was there last night as well and my Opera Britannia review has just been published: http://tinyurl.com/Orlandof
                  "Written in 1827" ????

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                    "Written in 1827" ????
                    Duly corrected... 'twas a late night!

Comment

• pilamenon
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                      Thanks for posting a link to your review, IGI, with which I absolutely concur.

Here is a rather less positive review of proceedings:

The Arts Desk’s team of professional critics offer unrivalled review coverage, in-depth interviews and features on popular music, classical, art, theatre, comedy, opera, comedy and dance. Dedicated art form pages, readers’ comments, What’s On and our user-friendly theatre and film recommendations

I think this reviewer is totally wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X