X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARBurton
    • May 2011

Bayreuth Tannhauser August 12 2014

At the risk of being "modded off", there`s a cinecast of Tannhauser from Bayreuth on 12th August - via Wagner im Kino, who I seem to recall handling the 2012 Parsifal cinecast.
    Anyone know of any UK cinemas actually carrying this?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

There doesn't seem to be anything on the web about it.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I've emailed the cinema group Picturehouses to suggest they investigate.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

I can't resist chipping in here. Having managed to buy tickets during the scramble which was their first ever internet sale last October, we are watching that Tannhäuser a week later on 18th Aug. I have visited Bayreuth before but not attended the Festival. Not quite sure what to expect from the staging but really looking forward to the experience. Bayreuth hotel is booked and and we're making a round trip of it, driving via Cologne, Leipzig and Luxembourg and staying with friends and my wife's relations

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I envy you, gurnemanz.

Comment

• ARBurton
            • May 2011

Und auch ich.

I emailed Wagner-im-Kino (the operators of the screening) over the weekend (in my best a-level German) to ask if they had any English cinemas lined up.
            Answer came there none...
            I shall have to hope that Arte or some enterprising 19.2 Astra channel carries it...

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I've emailed the cinema group Picturehouses to suggest they investigate.
              I received a standard kind of reply - sorry to disappoint you, not in our schedule....

Comment

• ARBurton
                • May 2011

To days broadcast f the opening Tannhauser was interrupted part way through Act 1 for a technical breakdown. Lots of distinguished guests languishing in the baking sun pending resumption of the opera. I hope I set my recorder to overrun....

Comment

• slarty

The machinery for the Venusberg set irrevocably broke down, the performance continued after almost an hour with the broken machinery still on stage. Acts 2 and 3 ran without problems. As the producer and designer took their curtain call they were booed off the stage.
                  Notwithstanding all the hullabaloo , the performance was better than I expected.
                  Act 1 restarted after the Overture, which will allow Bayerisches Rundfunks to edit the recording for all the other radio stations who will eventually broadcast at a later date.
                  I don't ever remember a performance being interrupted at Bayreuth before.

Comment

• ARBurton
                    • May 2011

I have a Gotterdammerung from I think the late 1990s where Act 1 ground to a halt after a minute or so to allow Wolfgang Wagner to announce the replacement of one of the male singers, but have not heard any other.

Comment

Working...
                    X