X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

ROH Manon Lescaut

I am going to see this next month -anyone seen it ? Great reviews for the singing, playing and conducting but rather more mixed for the production.
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Lucky you, its a favourite opera of mine and I had intended to buy a ticket for this production having never attended a live performance of the piece, my enthusiasm having been whipped up by the Chailly/Te Kanawa/Carreras recording.
    I hope you have a lovely time and enjoy every minute.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

It was streamed to cinemas today. Frau A is unwell, so we had to cancel our trip to Malton cinema.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Just back from the local Odeon for the live streaming of the ROH Manon Lescaut. Kristine Opolais as Manon and Jonas Kaufmann as Des Grieux were quite superb. It was the first time I'd seen Kristine Opolais aka Mrs Andris Nelsons in action.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

just back from ROH - personally strongly disliked the production which seemed to be always at odds with the libretto - band was great as is usual - the production was best viewed from a cinema as a fair bit of action at extremes of stage and also high up on stage (which doesnt help the voices)

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Going on Saturday. It will be our first encounter with the opera in the theatre. I don't object in principle to experimental productions but I generally feel that it is preferable to get to know an opera in a more conventional performance rather than a deviant staging, which by all accounts, this one appears to be.

However, my wife has a crush on Herr Kaufmann (now available following marriage breakup) and will certainly come away happy.

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

I'll also be there on Saturday. Possibly the last of my visits to CG in a while, as funds may be tight this autumn.

The last time I saw it was the dreadful ENO production of 2000. This has got to be better than that fiasco, hasn't it?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                However, my wife has a crush on Herr Kaufmann (now available following marriage breakup) and will certainly come away happy.

Should Herr Kaufmann's availability lead to the departure of Frau Gurnemanz I hope you get to keep the CDs

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

R3 are broadcasting it on Tuesday (6.45)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                    Should Herr Kaufmann's availability lead to the departure of Frau Gurnemanz I hope you get to keep the CDs
                    I almost added a comment to that effect, but did not want to tempt providence. He failed to appear when we went to Don Carlos a few years ago.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      Going on Saturday. It will be our first encounter with the opera in the theatre. I don't object in principle to experimental productions but I generally feel that it is preferable to get to know an opera in a more conventional performance rather than a deviant staging, which by all accounts, this one appears to be.

Hiya gurnemanz, You say 'experimental' and 'deviant' and I can understand the passion behind strong opinions. These days I try to keep an open mind about new stagings. I often find a non traditional staging helps me see the opera in a different perspective. There is nothing is to say that the original staging is always the best.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Hiya gurnemanz, You say 'experimental' and 'deviant' and I can understand the passion behind strong opinions. These days I try to keep an open mind about new stagings. I often find a non traditional staging helps me see the opera in a different perspective. There is nothing is to say that the original staging is always the best.
                        I can see might have come across wrongly, using words such as deviant. I'm right with you really and and over the years have certainly gained many insights and new perspectives via "non-traditional" productions in the theatre and the opera house, eg recent Othello at NT.

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Saw this last night. Wasn't looking forward to it over-much, as I'd heard bad things about the production. As it turned out, the production was excellent: thought-through, respectful of the music and with some interesting coups de theatre along the way. Jonathan Kent is one of those rare directors who doesn't let a concept run away with him. Musically, it was superlative, but that wasn't so surprising: Kaufman and Oppolais particularly good.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                            Saw this last night. Wasn't looking forward to it over-much, as I'd heard bad things about the production. As it turned out, the production was excellent: thought-through, respectful of the music and with some interesting coups de theatre along the way. Jonathan Kent is one of those rare directors who doesn't let a concept run away with him. Musically, it was superlative, but that wasn't so surprising: Kaufman and Oppolais particularly good.
                            Thanks Conchis - exciting news I cannot wait .

Comment

• johnn10
                              • Mar 2011

One small but puzzling point. When this was last done at Covent Gardent in 1983 it started at 7.30 and had three intervals. This year it only has a single interval yet starts 30 minutes earlier. Having seen performances both in 83 and this year I must say that it is refreshing to see that this time they managed to find a singer for the title role who fully learnt the part and was therefore able to act convincingly rather than looking anxiously at the conductor for much of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X