Vienna Tonkunstler Orchestra. Andres Orozco-Estrada John Lill. 02/03/14. Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Vienna Tonkunstler Orchestra. Andres Orozco-Estrada John Lill. 02/03/14. Beethoven

Live from Symphony Hall, a great chance to see the band warm up for their Wednesday night Basingstoke show.

Should help warm folk up on a miserable evening of weather.

(Edit, couldn't see a thread for this, apologies if there is one).

EDIT: yes, I know I missed the R in Andres.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Live from Symphony Hall, a great chance to see the band warm up for their Wednesday night Basingstoke show.
    And Tuesday in Bristol
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      And Tuesday in Bristol
      TWO warm up shows !! Brilliant.

Wot they playing in Bristol? Dvorak 8 and Rach PC #1 in glamorous Basingstoke. (and Dances of Galanta).

(fancy amending my trypo, FF?)
      Last edited by teamsaint; 02-03-14, 20:16.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I did try to amend it, but for some reason it wasn't responding. I'll have another go on my desktop later.

Just checked: the soloist is Barry Douglas playing Beethoven PC No 4, plus symphonies 6 & 5 on either side.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Listened to their Symphony Hall concert - good aren't they? Will look into tickets for Wednesday at the Anvil.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Title amended - I think it was because there were too many characters, so I deleted the last two!

Comment

• Gordon
              • Nov 2010

Having enjoyed their concert from Birmingham I looked for recordings to find a dearth!! Is it me - anyone know of any and where to get them? The interval talk mentioned a Sinfonie Fantastique which I think I've found but that seeems to be all. There are some LPs on Ebay etc.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

As per my post in the 'Future Concerts' thread, I've much enjoyed this

since downloading it a couple of years ago on the recommendation of someone on these boards

Comment

• Gordon
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  As per my post in the 'Future Concerts' thread, I've much enjoyed this

since downloading it a couple of years ago on the recommendation of someone on these boards
                  Thanks. It must have been me - putting in various other search terms I eventually got Amazon and iTunes to cough up but there are few of them all the same, some of them aren't with Orozco-Estrada and on a variety of labels. I've downloaded the Mahler from iTunes and will give it a whirl later. Comes very well recommended at Amazon, under your link.

Got my tickets for Wednesday now, looking forward to it!! Interesting Hall this: following night has Mike and the Mechanics [Sold Out!!] then Moscow State Circus on 7th. I'm glad our concert isn't after the Circus!!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                    Having enjoyed their concert from Birmingham I looked for recordings to find a dearth!! Is it me - anyone know of any and where to get them? The interval talk mentioned a Sinfonie Fantastique which I think I've found but that seeems to be all. There are some LPs on Ebay etc.
                    Sorry to miss this concert, very busy and never mind the weekend...
                    but hey Gordon! There is a set of the Haydn Paris Symphonies with the Tonkunstler-Orchester Niederosterreich conducted by Kristian Jarvi, on Preiser Records PR 90765. Haven't played it for ages but I remember it very fondly. Haven't had time to check availability though...wait a minute - yep, still there on Amazon so you can get it SOR!
                    Reviewed very positively in Gramophone 12/2009 by... Lawrence Vittes (don't all shout "who?" at once...). Recorded in the Musikverein in 2006/7, a quick spot-check just now showed a lovely, velvety, slightly muted balance with a noticeably fresh and resonant acoustic. Not HIPP as such but well up-to-speed with a lean, alert and elegant beauty of their own.

I'm starving, I'm tired and I'm off!

Comment

• Gordon
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Sorry to miss this concert, very busy and never mind the weekend...
                      but hey Gordon! There is a set of the Haydn Paris Symphonies with the Tonkunstler-Orchester Niederosterreich conducted by Kristian Jarvi, on Preiser Records PR 90765. Haven't played it for ages but I remember it very fondly. Haven't had time to check availability though...wait a minute - yep, still there on Amazon so you can get it SOR!
                      Reviewed very positively in Gramophone 12/2009 by... Lawrence Vittes (don't all shout "who?" at once...). Recorded in the Musikverein in 2006/7, a quick spot-check just now showed a lovely, velvety, slightly muted balance with a noticeably fresh and resonant acoustic. Not HIPP as such but well up-to-speed with a lean, alert and elegant beauty of their own.

I'm starving, I'm tired and I'm off!
                      Thanks Jayne, one of my search errors was looking for the Orozco-Estrada tag for conductor!! I assume that the Jarvi name means he [also assuming male!!] is of that dynasty!! I have since found those Haydn's and they are be winging their way. That orchestra is really something so really looking forward to Wednesday. Not HIPP but informed playing as the interval talk and chat last Sunday indicated.

Have been listening to their Mahler 1 and it is very well worth hearing.

Comment

• Gordon
                        • Nov 2010

Anyone go to the Bristol or Cadogan concerts? Basingstoke Anvil tonight!!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Anyone go to the Bristol or Cadogan concerts? Basingstoke Anvil tonight!!
                          Yes, I was at the Bristol one and it was received very enthusiastically. I was told that, for bookings, it was one of the Colston Hall's most successful concerts for some time - and I doubt anyone was disappointed.

Orozco-Estrada is slim and lithe - not surprising given the energy that goes into his performances (one of the last concerts I was at in the hall, the conductor was Kurt Masur, who seemed to stand almost still, just jigging his hands up and down).

Very sprightly symphonies, both. I'm used to a rather heavier No 5, but thoroughly enjoyed this interpretation. Barry Douglas was the soloist. Since one has preconceptions of reliability or 'predictability' from him, it's no faint praise since he fully lived up to expectations.

Not sure what the encore was - I let my niece down by not knowing - lighter, on the lines of a Viennese waltz-type piece.

Comment

• Gordon
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks. Sounds promising for tonight! Douglas is also playing for us, Rachmaninov 1st Concerto after the Kodaly Dances of Galanta and then Dvorak 8th symphony. What was the programme at Colston Hall then?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Thanks. Sounds promising for tonight! Douglas is also playing for us, Rachmaninov 1st Concerto after the Kodaly Dances of Galanta and then Dvorak 8th symphony. What was the programme at Colston Hall then?
                              Oh, sorry - I remember TS said that was the Southampton programme. We had the all-Beethoven - Symphonies 6 & 5, with PC4 in between.

Comment

Working...
                              X