• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Oops, forgot about you
    we are easy to overlook.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      we are easy to overlook.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I hadn't expected to enjoy the bits I heard as much as I did - I'd thought there was a danger of too much of the same sort of thing, whereas he's such a good composer that the variety of his Music stood up to the onslaught. My problem was a surfeit of riches.

And so good to hear Roger Nicholls on R3 again - his writings and broadcasts on early 20th Century French Music was so important to my education in the '70s and '80s, and I was so pleased to hear he hadn't lost his delicate but perceptive touch. A lot of the other chat was less illuminating, but there were some gems amongst it all.

And, I know we shouldn't pick on individual presenters, but doesn't Katie Dereham have a horrible English accent! And who are the "Rosh" pianists playing the Mother Goose Suite "later"? "Rogé" = "Rosh"??
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Vile Consort
          • Nov 2010

The music is wonderful. Some of the background articles were interesting (though I only caught up with them on iPlayer). But there has been too much inane chatter.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Got a lot out of what I was able to hear this evening - the contributions of George Benjamin and Oliver Knussen, as well as Roger Nichols, on the subject of Boléro and above all L'Enfant... were great to hear, as was their polite ignoring of much of the

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
            inane chatter

from the presenters. Roger Nichols effectively told SM-P to shut up when he asked to be able to finish one comment, and George Benjamin completely ignored a burbling diatribe from Mr Service - who then a few minutes later asked 'what about what I said?' .. only to be politely ignored again.

The comments about Ravel's orchestration from the composers were particularly illuminating.

And also... ... Kristin Scott Thomas was supreme in the two segments of 'Words and Music'. What perfect reading.

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Got a lot out of what I was able to hear this evening - the contributions of George Benjamin and Oliver Knussen, as well as Roger Nichols, on the subject of Boléro and above all L'Enfant... were great to hear, as was their polite ignoring of much of the

from the presenters. Roger Nichols effectively told SM-P to shut up when he asked to be able to finish one comment, and George Benjamin completely ignored a burbling diatribe from Mr Service - who then a few minutes later asked 'what about what I said?' .. only to be politely ignored again.

The comments about Ravel's orchestration from the composers were particularly illuminating.

And also... ... Kristin Scott Thomas was supreme in the two segments of 'Words and Music'. What perfect reading.

More than 2 hours left, it's been a long day!

Might tune back in for the last hour, but ER & ts have got me hooked on a mini Van Der Graaf Generator fest!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

What a great way to end Ravel day - Glenn Gould and La Valse in the solo piano arrangement!!

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

The soirée discussions were quite gripping and rather uncomfortable at the same time. The R3 presenters rather overdid their own theories I thought. Was Sara really trying to say that only the end of Bolero was of any import ? It was reassuring that her 'marmite' proposition was so comprehensively dismissed. Tom must have ended the shift exasperated having made so little progress with his own insights. Predictably fine work from Roger proving that you didn't have to be a composer to have something interesting to say.
                  Last edited by Alison; 08-03-14, 08:22.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    The soirée discussions were quite gripping and rather uncomfortable at the same time. The R3 presenters rather overdid their own theories I thought. Was Sara really trying to say that only the end of Bolero was of any import ? It was reassuring that her 'marmite' proposition was so comprehensively dismissed. Tom must have ended the shift exasperated having made so little progress with his own insights. Predictably fine work from Roger proving that you didn't have to be a composer to have something interesting to say.
                    Was this because when she played it on Breakfast she could then start rabbiting on again. I think she's right though - the end means it has finished. Busy with other things I missed most of the day but will try to catch up. I did wonder whether on the back of this Ravel mini-fest to start a top ten thread!

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Was this because when she played it on Breakfast she could then start rabbiting on again. I think she's right though - the end means it has finished. Busy with other things I missed most of the day but will try to catch up. I did wonder whether on the back of this Ravel mini-fest to start a top ten thread!

Go for it Cloughie .....a topical list.....

Comment

• Rolmill
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        And so good to hear Roger Nicholls on R3 again - his writings and broadcasts on early 20th Century French Music was so important to my education in the '70s and '80s
                        I knew Roger as my Latin teacher at school in the late '60s/early '70s - rather oddly (looking back on it - it didn't seem odd to a self-absorbed 9 year old at the time) he had little to do with the music, so I associate him with introducing me to Asterix and Obelix, teaching me the hook shot in the cricket nets and organising the school chess team. It was rather a shock to hear his instantly recognisable voice on Radio 3 many years later and to discover his expertise and reputation in such an unexpected field! Very nice to hear him again, as you say.

Comment

• Rolmill
                          • Nov 2010

Not sure what your angle is in all this. You've already told us that you're a whopping one & 3/4 inch taller than Morris.
                          So presumably an acute angle if he's looking down....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                            So presumably an acute angle if he's looking down....
                            Don't be obtuse.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Don't be obtuse.
                              Its a natural reflex
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Don't be obtuse.
                                Or indeed scale-ene...

Comment

Working...
                                X