• Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Five Stars for Norrington’s CPE Bach

This is the performance

and this is the review.
    Roger Norrington was a suitably quirky conducting choice for unearthing fresh perspectives on the second most famous Bach, writes Erica Jeal

I’ll give Five Stars to CPE any day but not too sure about tonight’s performance. It was … nice but I listened to Concert Koln afterword to remind myself of the CPE I knew. Still, I suppose it’s a lot to do with what one is used to.

[ed] I have no particular opinions about Roger Norrington. This is purely about this performance.
    Last edited by doversoul1; 08-03-11, 00:02. Reason: rephrased a bit
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

yes a bit understated i felt ... great music but not a five star performance in my ears, needs a virtuoso and full bodied delivery for my taste ... dry and detached not quite the thing
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

I enjoyed it a lot. It's very good to hear a whole programme of C P E Bach and something that doesn't happen too often. There are some works that I wish had been on the programme - the D minor Harpsichord Concerto, the D minor Flute Concerto (the last movement of which must have been known by Haydn). I don't think CPE is a master of transition though - quite often a musical idea seems to come to an abrupt stop, before a crashing gear change to something very different. Disconcerting to listen to, and probably intentionally so.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        I enjoyed it a lot. It's very good to hear a whole programme of C P E Bach and something that doesn't happen too often. There are some works that I wish had been on the programme - the D minor Harpsichord Concerto, the D minor Flute Concerto (the last movement of which must have been known by Haydn). I don't think CPE is a master of transition though - quite often a musical idea seems to come to an abrupt stop, before a crashing gear change to something very different. Disconcerting to listen to, and probably intentionally so.
        Agreed, yet very often a new movement seems to start off as a straight continuation of the musical material of the end of the one it's following on from. I've not heard the Concerto Köln recording, so can't comment on the relative merits of the performances, but I did very much enjoy last night's transmission (I listened via the HD Sound stream rather than the broadcast, hence the pedantic reference to "transmission" ) .
        Last edited by Bryn; 08-03-11, 16:16. Reason: Typo

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

I agree. It was very good to see a concert made up entirely with CPE Bach. It really doesn’t happen very often. I checked the programme twice to make sure I was looking at Performance on 3!! It was just that I tend to think CPE as more a composer at the end of Baroque than at the beginning of the Classical era, and yesterday’s performance, to me, was definitely more classical than Baroque. Someone said (can’t remember who it was) that CPE was a kind of dead end in the development of classical music. It wasn’t a criticism and I thought it was rather an apt description.

It is a good sign that a mainstream orchestra like OAE takes up CPE. Let’s hope we’ll hear a lot more of his works.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            Someone said (can’t remember who it was) that CPE was a kind of dead end in the development of classical music.
            Far from it. C.P.E.Bach was a pioneer in moving forward to a new style - and incredibly important figure in the history of music. He regarded his father as rather old hat (which of course he was, but the ghost of J.S.B. must have had the last laugh). So music of the period 1750 - 1770 has been pushed aside by the greatness of Haydn and Mozart that was still to come. But without C.P.E. Bach and his contemporaries, the music of the later classical period may not have reached the same heights.

Comment

• mikerotheatrenestr0y

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              But without C.P.E. Bach and his contemporaries, the music of the later classical period may not have reached the same heights.
              Sorry, Alpen, but it MIGHT not have reached the same heights, because we agree that it actually DID: it's the remote [im]possibility. It MAY have reached those heights because of CPE [who knows? opinions differ!] It MIGHT have done so without him.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikerotheatrenestr0y View Post
                Sorry, Alpen, but it MIGHT not have reached the same heights, because we agree that it actually DID: it's the remote [im]possibility. It MAY have reached those heights because of CPE [who knows? opinions differ!] It MIGHT have done so without him.
                I wouldn't dispute that, but as I suggested earlier, the 1750s and '60s were a period of important development, with very few "great" works being composed.

(I seem to be the only person not having a lie-in this Saturday morning)

Comment

Working...
                X