• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Still off-topic (apologies) I also have Elgar, Britten and Walton's signatures
    You got Walton's When I went backstage in 1972, all he did was tread on my toe as he was ushered out.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      You got Walton's When I went backstage in 1972, all he did was tread on my toe as he was ushered out.
      Yes, but, again, it was from a dealer. It's a sheet of music paper on which Walton has written out two bars of the fanfare from Facade and signed it underneath. I never did see him though he was to have attended a 1977 Manchester concert I went to but he had to cancel on doctor's orders.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Does anybody remember Walton walking onto the platform before a packed house to conduct an extract from Belshazzar's Feast at a Hoffnung Concert?

The extract was ---- " SLAIN!!'

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          Does anybody remember Walton walking onto the platform before a packed house to conduct an extract from Belshazzar's Feast at a Hoffnung Concert?

The extract was ---- " SLAIN!!'
          Yes. But I was too young to be there. My dad had the LP of the concert.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Eine Alpensinfonie

I was -- " I remember it well !" as they sang in Gigi -- now there's a truly immoral musical which is inexplicably labelled a masterpiece.

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

And I have got Sviatoslav Richter's autograph on an enormous Yamaha poster. Beat that! :cool2:
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                ... as they sang in Gigi -- now there's a truly immoral musical which is inexplicably labelled a masterpiece.
                Yes, it's a bit close to the bone.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Not sure how we've managed to get from Sir Georg to Gigi but shall we now return to topic?
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                  X