• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Live in Concert 18.02.14 - Cantus Colln - Bach

Cantus Colln, directed by Konrad Junghanel, with motets and early cantatas by JS Bach, live from Wigmore Hall.

Bach:
    Cantata: Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen BWV12
    Motet: Lobet den Herrn alle Heiden BWV230
    Cantata: Gleichwie der Regen und Schnee BWV18
    Cantata: Christ lag in Todesbanden BWV4
    Motet: Jesu, meine Freude BWV227

Cantus Cölln
    Konrad Junghänel, director

The German vocal ensemble Cantus Cölln and its founder-director, lutenist Konrad Junghänel, approach Bach's work with the minds of musicians steeped not only in the composer's music but also in the styles of composers who influenced his artistic development. A world leader in the historically informed performance of everything from the music of Monteverdi to Buxtehude, Schütz and Weckmann, the ensemble makes its Wigmore Hall debut with an all-Bach programme deeply rooted in the traditions of Lutheran worship. Death and mourning, addressed here in Christ lag in Todesbanden and the funeral motet Jesu, meine Freude, are counterbalanced by the tone of comfort and consolation central to the two Weimar cantatas BWV12 and BWV18.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Having copied the above from the BBC website (deleting the name of the presenter as always) I note that these have been labelled "early cantatas". I shall check, of course, but the numbering has very little to do with composition dates.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

I have a ticket for this.
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Re my message 2, the cantatad are indeed early ones:

BWV 12 & 18 both date from 1714;
        BWV 4 is thought to be from 1707-8.