Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Live in Concert - 1958

Sir Malcolm Sargent conducts the BBC SO

Shostakovich - Symphony No 11
    Beethoven - Symphony No 8
    Bartok - Piano Concerto No 2 with Andor Foldes

with announcements, and Sir Malcom about Shostkovich.......

BBC SO Sir Malcolm Sargent
  • amateur51

What a treasurable link - listening to the 'posh' voices of the announcer and Sargent in 1958 takes me back to my childhood (I was born at the end of 1951). I loved Sargent's description of Shostakovich as a 'ittle man' 'reminiscent of Gustav Holst'. i wonder what repertoire Sargent conducted the 'Moscow orchestra' and 'the Leningrad' in?

i'll save the actual preformances til later - what a programme!- many thanks indeed PJPJ!

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

I'm pleased that you enjoyed it - more old concerts, with period announcements would be most welcome. And may I say what a fine vintage 1951 is!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Dear PJPJ thank you for pointing to such a delightful site ... i am posting a link on the jazz threads to the wonderful jazz broadcasts from the fifties!

and Abbado and Ax in '83 The Emperor
        Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 07-02-14, 14:19.
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• slarty

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
          Sir Malcolm Sargent conducts the BBC SO

Shostakovich - Symphony No 11
          Beethoven - Symphony No 8
          Bartok - Piano Concerto No 2 with Andor Foldes

with announcements, and Sir Malcom about Shostkovich.......

BBC SO Sir Malcolm Sargent
          Thanks for the link PJPJ - does anyone know the date of this concert other than just 1958?

Comment

• Oliver

Sargent and Shostakovich....that reminds me! I used to have an arena season ticket for the Proms around that time and I didn't enjoy much of Sargent's work. However, I recall two Shostakovich performances that I found memorable and, to some extent, introduced me , a teenager,to the composer. The first was of that Eleventh Symphony, as mentioned above. But even more overwhelming was what I believe may have been the first UK or at least the first Proms performance of the Fourth Symphony- I still regard this to be Shostakovich's finest.
            Sargent was notoriously a vain man but for that symphony he wore reading classes-I'd never seen this before- and managed to lead the BBSO through a very complex and, at that time, not well- known piece.
            In retrospect, I'm pleased that I remember that concert when many mundane run-throughs of the Beethoven symphonies have been , quite rightly, forgotten.

Comment

• slarty

Found the date - it was Wednesday the 22nd January, the first half of the concert was transmitted on the Home Service and the Shostakovich on the Third Programme.
              Those were the days.

Comment

Working...
              X