• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Live in Concert 11.02.14 -Soile Isokoski at Wigmore Hall

Soile Isokoski at Wigmore Hall

Soprano Soile Isokoski sings Schubert, Kuula, Brahms, Bernstein and Strauss at Wigmore Hall.

Toivo Kuula became Jean Sibelius's first composition student in 1908. He created a series of works closely identified with the cause of Finnish independence from Russian rule, including the many songs he wrote for his wife. Kuula, whose family name translates as 'bullet', was killed in 1918 by a gun fired in a quarrel during the final days of the Finnish Civil War.
    Soile Isokoski blends a quartet of his songs together with famous Goethe settings by Schubert, closing her recital with romantic works by her beloved Richard Strauss.

Schubert: Four Mignon Songs; Du bist die Ruh; Die junge Nonne
    Kuula: Sinikan laulu; Yö nummella; Kesäyö kirkkomaalla; Suutelo (Kouta)
    Brahms: He, Zigeuner, greife; Hochgetürmte Rimaflut; Wisst ihr, wann mein Kindchen; Lieber Gott, du weisst; Brauner Bursche führt zum Tanze; Röslein dreie in der Reihe; Kommt dir manchmal; Rote Abendwolken ziehn (Zigeunerlieder)
    Bernstein: I Hate Music (A cycle of Five Kid Songs for soprano and piano)
    Strauss: Allerseelen; Schön sind, doch kalt die Himmelssterne; Mein Herz ist stumm; Cäcilie

Soile Isokoski, soprano
    Ilkka Paananen, piano
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I must say there's a great deal of music new to me here. The Bernstein is intriguing.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

I had circled this provisionally in the Wigmore Hall catalogue. Rather glad I didn't attend. Her voice tends towards the 'caterwaul' end of the spectrum. My ears no likey.
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
      X