• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    The Boston radio announcer informed us that colleagues from BBC Radio 3 were there so we can expect to hear this at some stage.
    He said they'd been there all week, so presumably caught the first performance. I didn't understand his comment that they assumed this was the 'world right cash' (what that??) premiere, but 'couldn't be sure that Radio 3 hadn't beaten them to it'.

Need to listen again, but I was quite surprised ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      He said they'd been there all week, so presumably caught the first performance. I didn't understand his comment that they assumed this was the 'world right cash' (what that??) premiere, but 'couldn't be sure that Radio 3 hadn't beaten them to it'.

Need to listen again, but I was quite surprised ...
      I was only listening with half an ear at this point but I thought he said 'world broadcast premiere' but as BBC R3 had recorded the actual premiere that's why he made his comment that the Beeb had beaten them to it. I'm due to give it another listen soon so will check. Great sound by the way.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Must syringe the ears - I listened several times, but you're certainly right

I wonder what Birtwistle thought of the performance. According to Lehninger's schedule he wasn't even supposed to be covering for Levine in this concert, though he was scheduled to cover for the Pollini concert.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cellini

Must syringe the ears - I listened several times, but you're certainly right
          Who is certainly right?

Can't be me, I'm never right ...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Cellini View Post
            Who is certainly right?

Can't be me, I'm never right ...
            No, not you - Petrushka, who was only listening with half an ear and heard the introduction better than I did with two! Anyway, I'm very cautious about diving in with a 'review' - but I certainly heard the orchestra, which you apparently didn't!

Comment

• Cellini

I wouldn't be so bold as to write a review either, but I wonder how different it would sound with another soloist? Mr T didn't always sound that secure. I wonder if he played from musak or memory. I can't see a lot of big time players wanting to spend the time trying to memorise this piece.

It may well go down as a standard repertoire piece though, you can never tell.

Oh!! There was an orchestra too? I must have missed that!!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I wonder if he played from musak or memory. I can't see a lot of big time players wanting to spend the time trying to memorise this piece.
                Well, he's got good eyesight if he was playing from the score.

'Ang on - that link works in my Msg #2 above.

No it doesn't - but it did a minute ago when I recovered the link ... picture of Teztlaff performing the work ... hmmm....

Try this:

Comment

• Roehre

Many Thanks Bryn

Comment

• Cellini

Well, he's got good eyesight if he was playing from the score.

... picture of Teztlaff performing the work ... hmmm....

He does look strange playing the fiddle!! Maybe that's what causes some of his er, technical problems.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

He does look strange playing the fiddle!! Maybe that's what causes some of his er, technical problems.
                      I'm only guessing but the orchestra desks behind look unoccupied leading me to think that the photograph was taken during the Mozart Rondo that opened the concert and not the Birtwistle piece. It sounded formidably difficult to my untutored ear.

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I'm only guessing but the orchestra desks behind look unoccupied leading me to think that the photograph was taken during the Mozart Rondo that opened the concert and not the Birtwistle piece. It sounded formidably difficult to my untutored ear.
                        Yes, of course you are right Petrushka. I never even noticed that. He looks a bit like he's playing Mozart. Last time I saw a video of him playing the G major No 3 with the Philharmonia, it really was not very good. The real test is always Mozart or Beethoven!!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Without attempting a review (I couldn't do one either) can those who have listened to this new piece say what impression they have? It sounded frighteningly difficult to me as a humble listener but I have heard it twice now and I do like it especially the fine orchestral part . I hope some enterprising record company will couple it with the Peter Maxwell Davies VC recently heard at the Proms.

Comment

• Cellini

You really don't want to know what I think!!??

Comment

Working...
                            X