X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

BBC 4 10 Jan: Vilde Frang & Menuhin

Two mini series each of 3 progammes run from 7.30pm if anyone's interested. The first a series of Chamber Music Proms, this one with with the brilliant Vilde Frang; the second from the BBC Archive, this one featuring Menuhin at the BBC, including Franck with his sister, and appearances on Parkinson with Stephane Grappelli and Blue Peter.

(Blue Peter?...dumbing down...dumbing down...someone must send a complaint to the Controller...)
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
    (Blue Peter?...dumbing down...dumbing down...someone must send a complaint to the Controller...)
    No; those were the days when Blue Peter treated children like adults and Menuhin appeared on children's television. These are the days when R3 presenters behave as if they have an audience of children or as if they're auditioning for Play School.

That's the point of this Forum.

Still, good call for the programmes. (Or, if you prefer; "well cool on the telly progs innit blood".)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Really looking forward to this. Menuhin is always good value. Vilde Frang is a class act as well.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

However, only the second movt. of the Ravel from Vilde.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

We know that Gershwin went to see Ravel regarding studying with him. I thought there were hints of Gershwin in that piece.

Even though Ravel lived until 1937 couldn't have been I've got Rhythm though, as that was around 1930, and Ravel's sonata dates from 1923-1927. However, I felt there were definite touches of Gershwin in there. Gershwin actually died before Ravel, in the same year.

Seeing Colin Davis waving his arms around with Menuhin playing the Beethoven concerto was interesting, as also the Bartók duos. The Mendelssohn wasn't too bad - I saw Menuhin do it live with Boult which was a great disappointment.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Really enjoyed the Menuhin programme. Pity there were no complete works but at least the extracts were complete movements. I loved the way Valerie Singleton on 'Blue Peter' referred to the great man as 'Mr. Menuhin' - not Yehudi!

Did anyone notice a young Neville Mariner leading the second violins in the LSO during the Beethoven concerto extract?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

The Mozart violin concerto was lovely. The solo Bach was really good.

I was amused by John Freeman - I don't think people speak that way any more.

Comment

• Tevot
                • Nov 2010

Still, good call for the programmes. (Or, if you prefer; "well cool on the telly progs innit blood".)

Sorted Ferney. Respect due

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I thought that Petroc did a pretty good job with this programme about Menuhin. Thoroughly enjoyed it and MrsBBM did too! Yes I noticed how VS called him Mr as opposed to Yehudi. Respect then for their peers! Although Mr YM did look out of place in that programme!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• secondfiddle
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I thought that Petroc did a pretty good job with this programme about Menuhin. Thoroughly enjoyed it and MrsBBM did too! Yes I noticed how VS called him Mr as opposed to Yehudi. Respect then for their peers! Although Mr YM did look out of place in that programme!
                    A most enjoyable programme (even though I thought I heard the announcer promise some Walton). It was good to see Leon Goossens. Is there much other archive film of him, I wonder?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by secondfiddle View Post
                      A most enjoyable programme (even though I thought I heard the announcer promise some Walton). It was good to see Leon Goossens. Is there much other archive film of him, I wonder?
                      I was thinking perhaps Leon Goossens, that YouTube, is always a great resource to use, for live or recorded archive footage?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

Actually we don't know that Gershwin went to see Ravel regarding studying with him,
                        it's one of those stories put about by the Gershwin publicity machine both before and after his death
                        and is repeated with many variations of composer (Schoenberg et al) in the tale.

As regards Vilde , I have seen her perform twice , once in recital and once in Britten's concerto
                        and can confirm that her tone and technical prowess put her among the finest of her generation.

Maybe that extra zing and star quality was a little muted on screen but she is definitely one to watch.

Comment

Working...
                        X