What music played on Radio 3 is so bad that you’ve turned the radio over to Classic F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3rd Viennese School
    • Sep 2024

What music played on Radio 3 is so bad that you’ve turned the radio over to Classic F

Frank Martin Mass! Played in the 2nd half of last night’s Performance on 3. My work colleague used to torture me with this piece day and night! Well, day. It’s awful!!!!

When I turned it to Classic FM ( which I don’t totally approve of) they played Rachmaninov symphonyno.2 which is okay I suppose. This symphony contains the classic FM anthem (mvt 3).

Anyway, what do you reader’s think?

3VS
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Do you mean the Frank Martin Mass for Double Choir? That is a gorgeous piece. I heard it two weeks ago in Salisbury given by the Hogan Ensemble, aptly in St Martin's Church. It is sad when over-familiarity breeds contempt especially as this work is so beautiful. I have only heard it three times. The previous occasions were on two of Carlo Maria Giulini's very rare excursions to giving choral works without orchestra. The first was a Third Programme broadcast with a Swiss Radio Choir and the other was live in St Paul's Cathedral with the New Philharmonia Chorus. Perhaps you need a live performance to bring it back.

I usually put on a CD or watch TV if I something on R3 is not digestible. That is rare as I tend to listen to music because that is the piece I wish to hear. Brahms or Sibelius played with too much gloss can turn me off. I like my romantics and late romantics to have some rawness and passion.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Anything by Gluck or Mozart(most of his output!)

I love the Frank Martin Double-Choir Mass to.Mind you, if 3VS was saying what he did, then like anything else, you would be bored by it. With me it's central repertoire stuff, some, I avoid!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>What music played on Radio 3 is so bad that you’ve turned the radio over to Classic F

None !

I may switch off stuff that's not working for me, obviously, but that feeble-minded** place is a no-go area.

** imo
        Last edited by Guest; 04-03-11, 11:56.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I tune to Classic FM only if the Radio Times tells me that it will be broadcasting something I want to hear. There are so many alternative alternatives ... Radio 4, CDs, DVDs, going for a walk, tidying the garden, reading a book - even, if I dare mention it, the television.
          I would not like to live in a world where the only choice was between something I didn't like on Radio 3 and something, or more likely part of something, I'd probably long grown sick of hearing on Classic FM, which has a very restricted playlist (an Allegri Miserere or Lark Ascending, anyone?)

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>There are so many alternative alternatives

The millions and millions of items on Spotify being another !

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

I would not like to live in a world where the only choice was between something I didn't like on Radio 3 and something, or more likely part of something, I'd probably long grown sick of hearing on Classic FM, which has a very restricted playlist (an Allegri Miserere or Lark Ascending, anyone?)[/QUOTE]

Sounds just like an increasing amount of R3 then these days!

Comment

• Roehre

It is very simple.

I never use R3 (or any music for that matter) as musical wallpaper anyway.

One of the reasons I am very happy with Andrew Slater's listings is the fact that it enable me only to switch on R3 when there is a work or a concert broadcast in which I am interested.
                I am busy and simply haven't got enough time to spill it on music I don't want to listen to at one particular moment (as R3 increasingly broadcasts "war horses" I've heard umpty times already), the more because there is so much music in my own collection which I prefer.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Not boredom. It’s music that goes right through you.

That Frank Martin. Goes all quiet. Then suddenly loud screams again. Then quieter. Then loud screams again! As if they’re on fire.

Aaaargh!

Please make it stop!!

I confess!!! I know where the secrets are kept!!!

Etc.

And, of course, so on.

3VS
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-03-11, 13:18.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                    That Frank Martin. Goes all quiet. Then suddenly loud screams again. Then quieter. Then loud screams again! As if they’re on fire.
                    Aaaargh! Please make it stop!! I confess!!! I know where the secrets are kept!!! 3VS
                    Ah, IYO a kind of Chinese water torture then

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

But worse.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Classic FM played Rachmaninov Symphony no.2 last Wednesday. On Friday I eagerly waited Radio 3 Performance on 3. Guess what they played?
                        You’ve guessed it kids. Rachmaninov Symphony no.2!

Serves me right for turning it over on Wednesday I suppose.

3VS

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Last night from around half-past seven, I really wanted something classical to get my ears into during a journey. Only radio was available. Radio 3 had some odd cross-over jazz-roots thing on at 7pm (what the hell was that???)... so I tried CFM.

Anyone who compares R3, even today, with CFM is out of their mind (save for those ?late night progs when CFM plays full symphonies etc). The adverts every 5 minutes for some Kylie Minogue event, car insurance, blah blah blah... and the rank pop-classical gobbets of music...
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I turned it over to Classic FM after the Gueezer said " And its back to the theme of 100 years of German song..........."

I hope this item on part 2 doesn't run for 100 years!
                            3VS

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                              I turned it over to Classic FM after the Gueezer said " And its back to the theme of 100 years of German song..........."

I hope this item on part 2 doesn't run for 100 years!
                              3VS
                              You mean
                              Es war einmal ein König,
                              der hatt' einen grossen Floh,
                              den liebt' er gar nicht wenig,
                              als wär' es sein eig'nen Sohn...

and the like....

Comment

Working...
                              X