X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daring Tripod
    • Sep 2024

Monday night's concert - Tchaikovsky and Schnittke

This is somewhat of belated posting of the concert on Monday night consisting of Tchaikovsky and Schnittke by the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus conducted by that excellent but somewhat underrated conductor Vassily Sinaisky.

The Tchaikovsky Symphony No.1 was performed beautifully but for me, the surprise of the evening were the Schnittke works.

I remember on the BBC R3 Messageboard quite a lively debate about Schnittke and someone at that time recommended the Faust Cantata.
    What an interesting work it is and quite unlike many of the Schnittke works I have heard. That work and the Concerto for Mixed Choir that followed it for me were a sort of ‘Indian summer’ composition.
    The mixed choir concerto was in the true Russian Orthodox Church tradition and reminded me of some Rachmaninov choral works.

Did anyone else hear this concert? (still on iTunes). If you have been put off by some of the works of this Chameleon composer, please give it a try.

Are there any recordings available of any of these works?
  • EnemyoftheStoat
    • Nov 2010

Yes indeed, Tripod, there are recordings available; in fact the purported "part 2" of this Performance on 3 consisted of commercial recordings, according to the programme details at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yyd2r#synopsis (a right old mess!) .

There are several of the choir concerto, and at least two of the cantata. I've not heard either of these so can't really do any comparison with the performance. I would agree, however, that Sinaisky is rather underrated.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

The one time they actually play Schnittke I was at London Bridge!!

3VS

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
        • Nov 2010

Gosh, this is a lively old thread isn't it. Well, I guess it's not Choral Evensong or Carmina!

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I could talk about Schnittke until the cows come home.

Comment

• Threni

Yes I love Schnittke's music and thanks for telling me about this concert. I nearly missed will listen to it very soon!

There's only a handful of composers which i have all available recordings for.

Stravinsky, James Macmillan, schnittke.

Comment

• Rivington

I was at the Barbican specifically to hear the Schnittke - a composer who fascinates me.
              The Faust Cantata was available on the BIS label (also on YouTube). The concert was excellent, although I would perhaps have chosen different soloists. The conductor was fascinating to watch too.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
                I was at the Barbican specifically to hear the Schnittke
                Lucky you! Schnittke interests me when I read about his music and other people's enthusiasms, but listening to it has never quite come up to my hopes.

Edit: OTOH, I've just listened to the Faust Cantata and much enjoyed it.
                Last edited by french frank; 07-03-11, 15:53.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I spent last Autumn learning Schnittke Symphony no.4. It’s good. He always managed to tie up everything musically. All the tunes motifs e etc. The use of sonata form in a modern world etc. And they are always balanced.
                  This symphony is in one movement. The loudest sections are in the middle, with singing on either side. The longest singing section comes near the end and then that tune is played on the bells. And the work ends exactly as it started.

Symphony no.2 is next- this will be my last Schnittke symphony!

Not heard the Faust Cantata.

I could talk about the Schnittke symphonies until the cows come home.

3VS

Comment

Working...
                  X