Tasteless, vulgar and banal music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker

I'm going to have to stick my head above the parapet here and say I am a big fan of both Bernstein's Mass and Chichester Psalms which I have known from my teenage years. I think if you love Lenny, which I do, then you are prepared to give him some leeway. The Mass includes some particularly cringeworthy episodes, but it is after all a theatre piece and is meant to be theatrical and provocative. A Simple Song gives me goosebumps and the Sanctus is completely divine. I just smile at some of the 70s kitsch. I find it a lot easier to take than, say, Tippett's Songs for Dov with their faux-hip "Sure boy" and electric guitar interjections.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-11, 00:09. Reason: a stray "the"

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

StephenO

That's interesting, because I have only heard Bernstein's own recording of the Mass, and I did consider getting the Alsop just to see if the work was as bad as I thought. Obviously it is, so thanks for saving me the trouble!

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
        And I thought it was just me who couldn't stand it! As I do actually like the Chichester Psalms I bought Marin Alsop's recording of the Mass when it was released to rave reviews from the critics. Ever since I've wondered whether it was my ears or my musical taste that was at fault. I'm glad to know it's neither. A truly dire piece.
        Not neccessarily - pianorak's ears or musical taste could equally well be at fault

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Not neccessarily - pianorak's ears or musical taste could equally well be at fault
          Yep - quite prepared to plead guilty.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Mahlerei

Hmm, I know why people don't like the Bernstein Mass, but the Kristjan Järvi recording on Chandos is very powerful indeed. It's one of those pieces you really have to believe in - musically, that is - to perform it well, and KJ and his forces give it everything they've got. If you want to give Mass another chance, this is the one to hear. It leaves Lenny's own version in the shade.

Comment

• Mahlerei

As for Turangalîla, I won't hear a word against it.

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
                • Nov 2010

Not tasteless or vulgar, just rather banal: Caucasian Sketches by the I-I guy.

Comment

• Don Petter

Could just be that he had his hood up?

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    Could just be that he had his hood up?
                    Que? - Hoods used only for restricting vision - not sound or brain function.
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                      Que? - Hoods used only for restricting vision - not sound or brain function.
                      Well, my anorak hood used to cover my ears (and kept them nice and warm).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                        Hmm, I know why people don't like the Bernstein Mass, but the Kristjan Järvi recording on Chandos is very powerful indeed. It's one of those pieces you really have to believe in - musically, that is - to perform it well, and KJ and his forces give it everything they've got. If you want to give Mass another chance, this is the one to hear. It leaves Lenny's own version in the shade.

I second that Mahlerei. I am happy to say I received the Jarvi as a very kind birthday (or Xmas) gift from the very same rubbernecker whose message 91 appears above.

And I thought I ought to give Lenny a chance to smile on this debate, in my avatar pic...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          Well, my anorak hood used to cover my ears (and kept them nice and warm).
                          Oh I see - THAT kind of hood!

Comment

• Mahlerei

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            [COLOR="blue"]
                            I second that Mahlerei. I am happy to say I received the Jarvi as a very kind birthday (or Xmas) gift from the very same rubbernecker whose message 91 appears above.
                            Ooh, it's my birthday soon. Can I expect a goodie bag too?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

& I wonder what Mrs Rubbernecker had to say about that

Comment

• rubbernecker

& I wonder what Mrs Rubbernecker had to say about that
                                Well, I tried to palm it off on Mrs R first, but she wouldn't have it. "Do you really think I am that tasteless, vulgar and banal?" she retorted.

Comment

Working...
                                X