X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker
    • Sep 2024

Tasteless, vulgar and banal music

A couple of days ago I finally got around to playing a record of Khatchaturian's Third Symphony which includes parts for organ and fifteen trumpets. The above three adjectives came to mind.

We already have threads on music which makes you angry, and music you have to turn off, which have provoked some partisan and heated debate, eg. on the meaning and purpose of Liszt.

Being for the most part a civilised lot, I just wondered whether there was actually a consensus amongst us about our experience of tasteless, vulgar and banal music? istr we had a similar thread on the old board. It needn't necessarily be music which is overblown or kitsch like the Khatchaturian, it can be mawkish and syrupy, but must be in the worst possible taste. If there is enough of a consensus, perhaps some form of ranking could be made and an eventual award given?
    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-11, 21:28. Reason: ff rightly pointed out it's consensus, not concensus
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Come in the Mahler bashers !

The K Third you mention is a very good example but still good to have at the margins
    of one's CD collection.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Come in the Mahler bashers !
      No, I don't want to encourage any general Mahler or Liszt bashing. Only very specific pieces of music...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Must we endure these negative Alison Graham threads?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          No, I don't want to encourage any general Mahler or Liszt bashing. Only very specific pieces of music...
          Hmm, I was tinking of most of the output of a certain Richard Strauss, but if it has to come down to specifics, Ein Heldenleben will have to surfice.

[That might just get someone's goat.]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

The problem is that one's person's banal is often another's sublime simplicity. For example, the laboured use of banal scale-based melodies by Tchaikovsky e.g. in that damned Nutcracker pas-de-deux or the ghastly letter scene in Onegin strikes others as the most magical transformation of simple material into sublime art... So I can't suggest them as I know there will be no concensus. I can't believe anyone thinks Lizst's 'Les Préludes' has any qualities which save it from fully deserving the three adjectives which head this thread - but I bet there are some who do
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              The problem is that one's person's banal is often another's sublime simplicity. For example, the laboured use of banal scale-based melodies by Tchaikovsky e.g. in that damned Nutcracker pas-de-deux or the ghastly letter scene in Onegin strikes others as the most magical transformation of simple material into sublime art... So I can't suggest them as I know there will be no concensus. I can't believe anyone thinks Lizst's 'Les Préludes' has any qualities which save it from fully deserving the three adjectives which head this thread - but I bet there are some who do
              Hmm, I for one like the Nutcracker, Tatiana's letter scene and Les Preludes: guess I'd better check out Khatchaturian's 3rd then! 'The Onedin Line' on organ and 15 trumpets - sounds good to me
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                Hmm, I for one like the Nutcracker, Tatiana's letter scene and Les Preludes: guess I'd better check out Khatchaturian's 3rd then! 'The Onedin Line' on organ and 15 trumpets - sounds good to me
                QED LeMartin!

Actually, I quite like the sound of Khach 3 too - might have to check it out

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

tasteless, banal and vulgar? .. how could any one resist such music?
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

perhaps not tasteless or vulgar, but I find Beethoven's opus 80 Fantasy for piano, chorus & orchestra verging on the banal. Perhaps uninspired would be a kinder word. It doesn't seem to do much except alternate between tonic and dominant chords and take quite a long time to do that. It is said to foreshadow the 9th Symphony so I shall think of it as just a dress rehearsal.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Lets stick Brahms symphony no.4 mvt 3 here for a change.

(Strangely enough the finale is good!)

And Britten's Simple Symphony.

And Elgar.

3VS

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

I still recall the calumny heaped upon the Stokowski recording of the Khachaturian 3rd when it first came out. I've not heard it for years, but remember it being somewhat brash. Despite being wary of anything conducted by Tjeknavorian, especially where the Armenian Philharmonic Orchestra is the band, I have ordered their recording as it seems to be the cheapest alternative, and I do have a soft spot for the 1st Symphony with which the 3rd is coupled.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                          Lets stick Brahms symphony no.4 mvt 3 here for a change.

(Strangely enough the finale is good!)

And Britten's Simple Symphony.

And Elgar.

3VS

I think your chances of consensus are dwindling, rubberknickers....
                          Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 02-03-11, 15:21. Reason: ff's whispered and entirely justified correction

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I'm not sure that I can rise to 'Tasteless, vulgar and banal music' but 'pointless' tends to come to mind with 'The 12 cellists of the BPO'. But that's not a piece of music, is it? Isn't most music redeemable if well played, and most music ruined by 'tasteless, vulgar and banal' performance? And isn't concensus spelled with three s's?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                              perhaps not tasteless or vulgar, but I find Beethoven's opus 80 Fantasy for piano, chorus & orchestra verging on the banal. Perhaps uninspired would be a kinder word.
                              Hercule: I disagreee with you, and diametrically so. I'd call Op80 inspired vulgarity, verging on banality!
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                              X