X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Tonight 8pm - live organ recital Martin Baker at Westminster Cathedral

This must the first such organ recital for a long time - must be Xmas.
  • Vile Consort
    • Nov 2010

We had a live recital by Colin Walsh a few months back. Must be thankful for small mercies.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Heard it...but only on car radio with 70mph road noise. Westmister Cathedral organ definitely has a French accent....Messiaen superb. I wonder how many people attended in person? The applause sounded enthusiastic but a bit sparse, I thought. Great to have an organ recital Live in Concert. More please.

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

I didn't count the bodies but Madame Bombarde reckons that there were between 120-150 present. The organ was quite closely miked which may have made the applause sound sparser than it was in the flesh; this was apparent when I listened to a recording of it during the week and noted the volume of the General Cancel after the Dupré when a lot of stops were taken off. Willis was undoubtably influenced by Cavaillé-Coll; this organ in particular benefitted from the Transmanche association.

I recommend Robert Quinney's recording of Dupré recorded in Westminster Cathedral for anyone wishing to appreciate the accent, or turn up for a High Mass...

Comment

• Vile Consort
          • Nov 2010

Not only influenced by him but they did work for each other, according to David Wylde, who has investigated the correspondence he bought along with the Willis company.

I seem to remember DW telling a funny story about HW writing to C-C asking for some shallots. If he spots this, perhaps he will tell.

Comment

Working...
          X