Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Basilio
    • Nov 2010

It probably shows how deeply unmusical I am, but I can't think of any music that makes me angry. If any music did have that effect, I would suspect there was something wrong with me.

Comment

• Auferstehen2

OK then, since we’re being a little silly here. I‘ll tell you of a piece of music that makes me angry – Tchaikovsky’s 1st PC. Why? How could Pyotr not use that glorious theme at the start, again in that movement? I’m no composer, but I wonder if given to the horns, whether that theme might match Sibelius 5th’s finale for grandeur?

I’ve been meaning to remove that particular stone from my shoe for ages. And yes, I know we’re all sick to death of that PC, but just because we’re over-familiar with it, doesn’t make it inherently bad, does it? After all, presumably, we’re very familiar with our wives, but that doesn’t mean…

(Glad I’m far away)

Mario

Comment

• offbeat

I like listening to angry music -RVW 4TH a prime example and i think Mahler was a bit cheesed off in Mahler 9 in particular the scherzo and Rondo Burlesque !!!!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

offbeat,

Surely Mahler was ALWAYS cheesed off !

Bws.
          Ferret

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Auferstehen2 View Post
            OK then, since we’re being a little silly here. I‘ll tell you of a piece of music that makes me angry – Tchaikovsky’s 1st PC.
            Despite it being a total rip-off of a performance of Hugh Shrapnel's Houdini Rite, given at the Purcell Room by John Tilbury and the Scratch Orchestra* on Friday December 4th 1970, here is that very rip-off.

* Though the opening orchestral chords were provided by a recording of the Hamburg Pro Musica Orchestra conducted by George Hurst, from a Saga LP.

Comment

• Auferstehen2

Wonderful stuff - great start to the day!

Thanks again Bryn,

Mario

Comment

• Roehre

OK then, since we’re being a little silly here. I‘ll tell you of a piece of music that makes me angry – Tchaikovsky’s 1st PC. Why? How could Pyotr not use that glorious theme at the start, again in that movement? I’m no composer, but I wonder if given to the horns, whether that theme might match Sibelius 5th’s finale for grandeur?
                Mario
                Mario, the opening of Tchaikovsky's PC1 is an afterthought. That's why it doesn't return anywhere else in the concerto.
                The original opening were the piano chords which follow that glorious theme. Not bad as an opening, but too direct without an introduction. (The same applies to Brahms' 1st symphony btw, of which the sostenuto introduction is an afterthought as well).

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Wonderful stuff - great start to the day!

Thanks again Bryn,

Mario
                  Here, to fill in the point about the Monty Python team ripping of the idea, is an mp3 of the original John Tilbury and Scratch Orchestra performance of Hugh Shrapnel's Houdini Rite with Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto (recorded 4 December 1970). And here:

is John Tilbury during another performance of Houdini Rite at Durham University the following summer (but without the Tchaikovsky this time).

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Angry music can be delightful to listen to.

Wot about Prokofiev symphony no.6 at the end!!! Have some of that.

And, indeed, one only has to think of Henze symphony no.7 mvt 1.

They were jolly cross at the time I think.

3VS

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                      “Shostakovich's symphonies have a similar effect on me: if I listen to them while reading about the atrocities committed by Russia's communist rulers, my blood really starts to boil. “

Any others?

I think you find that Shostakovich wouldn’t have agreed with those atrocities!

What makes me angry? Radio 1! It’s the worst station in the world, even worse than World music.
                      It got so bad in the café once with radio 1 at full volume that I nearly did a Peter Maxwell Davies!!

And when you are in a pub and they play Queen. AGAIN!!!!!

It gets my goat.

It really does.

3VS
                      No, I know DSCH wouln't have approved of those atrocities.....so, he had to make his disapproval cover rather than overt. In some symphonies, I get the sense of a man screaming through several layers of gags wound round his mouth. Truly horrible....not the music itself, but the sensation it produces.

Comment

• Tevot
                        • Nov 2010

I echo the comment about Prokofiev 6 - the last movement basically a forced jollity which culminates in a scream. Shostakovich also - in his own words Symphony 14 was about Death and a protest agianst it. Symphony 13 "Babi Yar" that too embraces everything - and yes- anger in the first movement certainly. A haunting work - and imho an underrated one. Berio's Sinfonia - a wonderful encapsulation of an angry decade and unfinished business. Above all perhaps (?) Schoenberg - A Survivor from Warsaw - the defiance and pride at the hair raising end enough - at least with me - to send shivers down the spine and cry blue murder...

Comment

Working...
                        X