X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

Music That Makes You ANGRY!!!

Following on from the '...makes you cry' thread, I was wondering about the stuff that makes you bang your fist on the table.

Madama Butterfly always makes me angry....I think Puccini, as usual, wanted to make the world weep, but this opera just makes me want to go out and beat up Americans and burn the Stars n' Stripes in Grosvenor Square.

Shostakovich's symphonies have a similar effect on me: if I listen to them while reading about the atrocities committed by Russia's communist rulers, my blood really starts to boil.

Any others?
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    Madama Butterfly always makes me angry....I think Puccini, as usual, wanted to make the world weep, but this opera just makes me want to go out and beat up Americans and burn the Stars n' Stripes in Grosvenor Square.
    And the problem with that is? (oh dear, now I'll have Betweenthestaves breathing down my neck)

Seriously, though, I have the same reaction to Madam Butterfly. I also get annoyed, if not angry, with Pere Germont in Traviata in Act 3 - after putting Violetta under enormous moral blackmail in ACt 2, he gets angry with his son & all chummy with Violetta. If she'd had any sense she would tell him to get lost as he's done enough damage.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      . I also get annoyed, if not angry, with Pere Germont in Traviata .
      Me too - Act 2 of Traviata may have put me off Verdi for life!

Many of Britten's operas make me angry for the relationships between people of the same sex -in particular Peter Grimes' relationships with his young apprentices. That also has coloured my view of the whole of Britten's works unfortunately (with apologies to Mary Chambers).

Comment

• StephenO

I've tried to think of music that makes me angry but all I can come up with is the piped rubbish you get in most supermarkets (with the honourable exception of Waitrose) and the thump-thump emanating from certain people's cars.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

There is music that is angry and therefore produces the same emotion in me and in this category I'd list practically all of Shostakovich, particularly the second movement of the 10th Symphony, the ending of the 11th and the fist-shaking ending to the 'Leningrad'. There is also a passage in the last movement of the 'Leningrad' that builds up a right head of steam most especially in Bernstein's Chicago SO recording that's enough to induce a heart attack.

Apart from that, the climax of the 'Eroica' first movement is Beethoven in table-thumping mode. Alberich's curse in Das Rheingold raises the blood pressure as well.

I don't get angry about music that isn't angry.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
            Me too - Act 2 of Traviata may have put me off Verdi for life!

Many of Britten's operas make me angry for the relationships between people of the same sex -in particular Peter Grimes' relationships with his young apprentices. That also has coloured my view of the whole of Britten's works unfortunately (with apologies to Mary Chambers).
            Actually, the end of Billy Budd makes me angry.....I feel at one with the wordless chorus of the mariners. I don't think Britten would have been altogether displeased by my reaction.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
              • Nov 2010

I confess to finding Oddball's reaction to Britten a bit odd, but then he/she is called Oddball!

Bad music makes me angry.

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Like some of my friends the last movement of Beethoven's Choral Symphony makes me angry enough to switch off.
                It may be the phoney 'peace' anthem it has become,perhaps it was overblown to start with.[No reflection on the wind and brass sections]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Carmina Burana . All the concerts wasted on it and those horrible motor rhythms suggestive of jackboots.

Oddball's comments strike me as bizarre. Peter Grimes is about violence and bullying is it not ?

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Like some of my friends the last movement of Beethoven's Choral Symphony makes me angry enough to switch off.
                    It may be the phoney 'peace' anthem it has become,perhaps it was overblown to start with.[No reflection on the wind and brass sections]
                    Oh my goodness - how dare I disagree with my mentor, but I have always found it a very inspiring piece!

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

morning Anton, thought you were my mentor, I would never have heard of Glen Gould without you.

Comment

• Auferstehen2

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        Oh my goodness - how dare I disagree with my mentor, but I have always found it a very inspiring piece!
                        Greetings salymap!

I’m sorry, but I’m on antongould’s side re Beethoven 9, but I am of course biased.

Music that makes me angry?

1) Music played badly, or worse,
                        2) Music that has been improved upon by primadonnas who think they know better than the composer,
                        3) Music “re-styled”, so e.g., Madama Butterfly being given the Malcolm McLaren treatment, as here –
                        Malcolm McLaren - Madame Butterfly [OFFICIAL VIDEO] 198309-April-2010: Malcom Mclaren is dead. Malcolm Mclaren has died. He was 64. Mclaren had cancer for so...

What is it that makes me angry? It must be the total lack of respect for the art by the mountebank who’s onto a fast buck.

Regards,

Mario

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                          • Nov 2010

First movement of Walton's First Symphony - in certain hands (Previn) this really does raise my blood pressure.
                          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

BaxofDelights, how can this be so?

All Classical Cross Over, especially the artists concerned, Katherine Jenkins, Russell Watson etc etc....................
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                              • Nov 2010

There's not much music that makes me fume with rage, the only piece that comes to mind is Leonard Bernsteins Mass, what used to be called radical chic comes across as embarrassing drivel from an artist I admire.
                              I'm a bit peeved with myself because I once quite enjoyed Carl Orff's Der Mond and Die Kluge in the old Columbia recordings, and now I can't stand them.

What about anger at performances ? I roundly booed Charles Munch once, but the snag was that everybody else cheered ! A lesson learned!

Comment

Working...
                              X