X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Afternoon on 3 - from Lucerne and Berlin

What a spellbinding set of performances this afternoon . The Abbado Tchaik 6 , the Berg and this Rattle Mahler 4 all seem equally marvellous to me .
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I think that's the performance of the 'Pathétique' to be found on a recently issued DVD/Blu-Ray. It's well worth getting to not only hear, but see, such committed music-making.
    Last edited by Bryn; 25-02-11, 19:03. Reason: Link added.

Comment

• Bert Coules
      • Nov 2010

Yesterday's Fidelio, also from Lucerne, was splendid too; not studio-perfect by any means but red-blooded and full of the excitement of a live performance.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I think that's the performance of the 'Pathétique' to be found on a recently issued DVD/Blu-Ray. It's well worth getting to not only hear, but see, such committed music-making.
        Excellent stuff Bryn - many thanks.

Nice to see the ol' boy clearly enjoying making music with this wonderful bunch of musicians, outstanding work in every section, and the lad on the timps needs snapping up pronto while his wrists are still intact!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I am catching up on iplayer!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Daring Tripod

I often question some of Rattle’s performances of Mahler and to my taste he often gets it wrong, meaning that he does not impress ‘me’, but one has to give credit where credit is due. That Mahler 4th he conducted in Berlin last week which was retransmitted yesterday, swept me over. Obviously, due I assume to some legal hitch up, the recent concerts in London could not be rebroadcasts but we heard most of the items they played but from Berlin instead of London. That Mahler 4th did it for me. The piece was played so lovingly and with such warm detail by this remarkable ensemble with Christine Shaefer as soloists in the last movement, just as I imagined a perfect singer for that role should perform it, puts that event amongst the rare ‘greats’ of performances I have heard, up with Abbado’s 3rd with the Lucerne players at the Proms.

Comment

Working...
            X