• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Verbier festival

I think there has been some coverage of this on R3 in the past.

They always send me the glossy prospectus, complete with advertisements for Julius Bär, Rolex and expensive looking château estate wines, and it's always seemed a bit of a clique round Argerich, Kissin and a few others (a very classy clique).

This year, I see Terfel, Llyr Williams, Stephen Hough and our (ex-)very own Noseda are there, plus the usual stars. Llyr Williams commands £27 for his recital, and that's the bottom price for concerts.

Will anyone admit to having been? (I don't suppose R3 can afford it now)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Richard Tarleton

You can catch Llyr Williams for a mere £17.50 at Rhosygilwen here in Pembrokeshire on April 23, and not a Rolex in sight

Mrs Terfel must have relaxed the rules a bit for Bryn to be away for that long.

Seriously it's probably the only way to see Argerich live - she's bound to turn up for her own festival

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Seriously it's probably the only way to see Argerich live - she's bound to turn up for her own festival
      Well, at least two ex-Mr Argerichs will be there too. Let's hope they were amicable splits.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Well, at least two ex-Mr Argerichs will be there too. Let's hope they were amicable splits.
        Er - Charles Dutoit and Stephen Kovacevich (was No. 3 husband and is not listed on the programme) - so who is the other one? Just being nosey!
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          Er - Charles Dutoit and Stephen Kovacevich (was No. 3 husband and is not listed on the programme) - so who is the other one? Just being nosey!
          Kovacevich is down to play in the printed brochure, 24 July, Beethoven, Sonatas Op 10/1 and Op 110, and Schubert D960. In the church at 8pm, if you can make it. Sfr 75 (about £50). Dutoit conducting two concerts with the Verbier Festival Orchestra.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Thanks, ff - putting my mind at rest . Haven't got the printed brochure.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
              Thanks, ff - putting my mind at rest . Haven't got the printed brochure.
              And coincidentally, one of Dutoit's concerts is with Buniatishvili (Rach. 3), plus she has a solo recital. She seems to have been earmarked as the new generation of stars.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                And coincidentally, one of Dutoit's concerts is with Buniatishvili (Rach. 3), plus she has a solo recital. She seems to have been earmarked as the new generation of stars.
                I'm not surprised. Argerich is her sponsor and Kovacevich one of her teachers. Rach 3 should suit her down to the ground. Today's lunchtime recital on R3 was a bit of a disappointment IMV, although I'm convinced she has the potential to be among "the new generation of stars".

Comment

Working...
                X