X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Philharmonia/Ashkenazy RFH Oct 17

Vladimir Ashkenazy conducts the Philharmonia Orchestra in a Russian programme of music by Stravinsky plus Tchaikovsky's 'Manfred' Symphony.

This is what Radio 3 is about! For me this was one of the most enjoyable concerts outside of the Proms I've had for ages. Terrific Stravinsky Violin Concerto from the ubiquitous Patricia Kopatchinskaja and a magnificent Tchaikovsky Manfred.

Great concert and a special bravo to Andrew Smith on the timpani whose electrifying playing made Muti's 1981 recording my favourite.

Anyone who missed this should hotfoot it to the I-player without delay.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Vladimir Ashkenazy conducts the Philharmonia Orchestra in a Russian programme of music by Stravinsky plus Tchaikovsky's 'Manfred' Symphony.

This is what Radio 3 is about! For me this was one of the most enjoyable concerts outside of the Proms I've had for ages. Terrific Stravinsky Violin Concerto from the ubiquitous Patricia Kopatchinskaja and a magnificent Tchaikovsky Manfred.

Great concert and a special bravo to Andrew Smith on the timpani whose electrifying playing made Muti's 1981 recording my favourite.

Anyone who missed this should hotfoot it to the I-player without delay.

Not repertoire that would automatically pull me in. Indeed, the only reason I listened was because TS told me he'd be there. I now await his 'match report' with much anticipation. Patricia Kopatchinskaja's playing was so astoundingly entrancing that, as soon as the VC finished, I was rooting through her discography (not a euphemism). A real 'scorchio' of a performance (an arcane musicological term our resident academics may not yet be au fait with).

Even the Norwegian Moods caught my ear (neo-classical? I kept hearing Mozart in them). The PO were in especially fine form. All in all, a veritable humdinger.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Just on my way back home from the RFH.

Sounds from Pet and @Noggo as though it came over well on the radio.

I certainly had an excellent evenings entertainment.I'll post one or two thoughts tomorrow rather than from my phone now.
      Lots to enjoy, great programme.

(I was sitting just behind and to the right of the percussion. They had a high old time in th final mvt of the Manfred !!)
      Last edited by teamsaint; 17-10-13, 22:28.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Just catching up online. Safe journey, Sainty !

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

A humdinger of a concert indeed.
          I'd never previously heard the Stravinsky,what a breathtaking piece it is,beautiful and almost chamber music-like a lot of the time.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Just catching up online. Safe journey, Sainty !
            Lucky you being at this one, ts! Mind you, it's safely stored on my hard drive for transferring to disc later. After a couple of less than brilliant Manfreds on R3 recently it's good to report that that this one was bang on target. The organ may not have overwhelmed but there's a good case to be made for the way we heard it tonight being more what PT had in mind.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

And amateur51 is there too, solook forward to his report.

Comment

• edashtav
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Lucky you being at this one, ts! Mind you, it's safely stored on my hard drive for transferring to disc later. After a couple of less than brilliant Manfreds on R3 recently it's good to report that that this one was bang on target. The organ may not have overwhelmed but there's a good case to be made for the way we heard it tonight being more what PT had in mind.
                Quite right,Petrushka, we've not been short of Manfreds on Radio 3, recently, but we have been short-changed by those on offer. I'm in full agreement with other boarders, Vladimir Ashkenazy and a thrilling Philharmonia had the measure of the piece. Right from the start Manfred's leitmotif - that gaunt, craggy, reedy theme pregnant with a distressing mixture of pride and self-hatred, was projected with uncompromising characterisation. I loved the way in which Ashkenazy kept a grip on the music's form whilst not ignoring the programme. He took immense care over balancing woodwind strands, for instance, so that themes became more complex and revealed links that sometimes go unnoticed. The Waterfall Scherzo was delightful. The third movement which can sound bland started with a plangently shaped oboe solo from Gordon Hunt. Later, I noticed how lovingly and idiomatically, Ashkenazy shaped themes derived from Russian Folk music.

Oh dear, what a mongrel is Tchaikovsky's finale. The vision of a Bacchanalian horde responding to Manfred's oratory with an academic fugue is beyond my ken. But, Vladimir and his disciplined forces ploughed on and avoided making Manfred's death-scene saccharine sweet.

Ashkenazy has a keen ear and a knowledge of form. He roused the Philharmonia to play at its finest. One can't ask for more.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Listened to the Stravinsky only - very good indeed in the concerto - soloist fresh and alive, orchestra ditto - with Kopatchinskaya living up to the praise (or the hype - she was soloist in the Gramophone Record of the Year, Bartok 2/Ligeti/Eotvos concertos with Eotvos conducting, probably deserved, but I haven't heard it).

I have to carp a little though at the rather close balance, the soloist rather too close-and-loud, almost as if the producer wanted to imitate the Isaac Stern/IS/Columbia recording...given the smallish orchestral forces this might be justified... nevertheless the dynamic range was OK if a little unsubtle in its gradations (heard on HDs).

I'd have really loved to see Patricia K's dress, which a rapturous Sara M-P described a little vaguely, it seemed to be a black full-length A-line with a white lace overlay, Sara didn't mention the designer though. Guess we won't be getting a highstreet copy anytime soon...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Listened to the Stravinsky only - very good indeed in the concerto - soloist fresh and alive, orchestra ditto - with Kopatchinskaya living up to the praise (or the hype - she was soloist in the Gramophone Record of the Year, Bartok 2/Ligeti/Eotvos concertos with Eotvos conducting, probably deserved, but I haven't heard it).

I have to carp a little though at the rather close balance, the soloist rather too close-and-loud, almost as if the producer wanted to imitate the Isaac Stern/IS/Columbia recording...given the smallish orchestral forces this might be justified... nevertheless the dynamic range was OK if a little unsubtle in its gradations (heard on HDs).

I'd have really loved to see Patricia K's dress, which a rapturous Sara M-P described a little vaguely, it seemed to be a black full-length A-line with a white lace overlay, Sara didn't mention the designer though. Guess we won't be getting a highstreet copy anytime soon...
                    The balance in the Stravinsky was far better in the Hall, jlw and Kopatchinskaja is an assertive player, bouncing around with great attack (and no shoes). Her dress was a white A-line with a black large grid attached at the waist, so that it could move independently of the main dress - quite striking. The orchestral contributions were stunning I thought.

The violin duo encore was a cracker with Kopatchinskaja going at it full-tilt to be joined towards the end by the leader. Ashkenazy took a vacant chair at the back and the two violinists embraced each other heartily at the end - Kopatchinskaja's youthful excitement & ebullience is marvellous to see and I regard her now as a must-see performer, having seen her fairly recently in Prokofiev at the RFH with the LPO and Jurowski too.

Tchaikovsky's Manfred has long been a favourite since I bought a Kletzki performance second-hand on LP and then acquired the Muti performance on cassette tape and then on CD. Ashkenazy's conducting was totally committed sand the orchestra played their socks off for him. All the sections gave tremendous performances and it was thrilling to get the organ at the end.

I was surprised and delighted to see how spritely Ashkenazy still is at age 76, with a full-head of white hair, with a pink bald spot on his crown now. He bowled on to the platform with such force that the audience was caught off-guard initially, and he was a third of the way across before the greeting applause started. He is still a very physical and slightly awkward conductor but on this evidence the Philharmonia orchestra knows very well what he wants and makes sure that he gets it. He is a modest almost shy presence when not conducting, accepting the warmth of the applause clearly but keen to share it around with colleagues, very heart-warming to see.

A marvellous evening at the RFH and I'm pleased to read that it came across well on R3
                    Last edited by Guest; 18-10-13, 11:26. Reason: trypo

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Awesome report Ams many thanks....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        Awesome report Ams many thanks....
                        Second the motion

Second time I've heard the phrase "an A-line dress" - the first time being the commentator on R3 last night. Was going to ask what it is but don't want to derail the thread with trivia, so shall use google!

Glad you had such a great evening. I suspect T. Saint Esq. will be along shortly with a similarly enthusiastic report!
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

To return to the subject of this thread:

I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I never thought for one moment that any performance of Manfred could outstrip Silvestri's performances, but this one by the Philharmonia with Ashkenazy leads by a country mile.

Yes, Alan Smith. I remember him from Bournemouth days. Magnificent timp playing - and is that David Pyatt? Great horn playing!

HS

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                            To return to the subject of this thread:

I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I never thought for one moment that any performance of Manfred could outstrip Silvestri's performances, but this one by the Philharmonia with Ashkenazy leads by a country mile.

Yes, Alan Smith. I remember him from Bournemouth days. Magnificent timp playing - and is that David Pyatt? Great horn playing!

HS
                            And to return again to the subject of this thread...

I only heard the Stravinsky pieces, but they sounded wonderful. The last movement of the concerto is the one that really appeals to me, and it really delivered: I thought Ashkenazy and the orchestra accompanied with a lightness of touch that I might not previously have associated with that combination...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I've had trouble with IPlayer recently. I hope it works this afternoon and I cas hear this concert after the marvellous reports of it.

I'm still getting to know Manfred but one short passage from near the end sticks in my memory.

Why wasn't it played more when I attended concerts

Comment

Working...
                              X