Benjamin Grosvenor piano
    Programme
    Mendelssohn Rondo Capriccioso in E Op. 14
    Schubert Impromptu in Gb D899 No. 3
    Schumann Humoreske in Bb Op. 20

Medtner 2 Fairy Tales
    Ravel Valses nobles et sentimentales
    Gounod/Liszt Valse from the Opera "Faust

live from the Wigmore Hall on the evening of 14th October, 2013, introduced by Katie Derham.

I was alerted to this recital this evening by accidentally tuning into part of the first half - it must have been the Schubert Impromptu played with imagination delicacy and wit. I did not know by whom but it was enough for me to return after the interval.

At first, I was irritated by Grosvenor's Medtner, despite there being so much to enjoy. I've always felt that Medtner was a neurotic worrier and this side of him was very well captured by Benjamin. Ideas tumbled over one another, in a jumpy mosaic. Passages had an amazing clarity with inner lines clarified as rarely before. But... were the martellando passages almost too hard-hammered and rhythmic? Medtner was nothing if not firmly conservative, yet some passages in the "March" conte presaged the Stravinsky of The Rite of Spring and these banged up against the lyrical passages without a sense of bridge or continuity, and, occasionally, without observing Medtner's text. Yes, I felt that Grosvenor's Medtner was "work in progress" - with effort still needed to make great insights into a seamless whole. But.. the lad is only 21. Don't give up on Medtner, Benjamin, please! It's great to hear a new generation getting to grips with this modest but important Russian figure.

Ravel's Valses Noble et Sentimentales were very successful. The poetry, imagination and finesse of some of Benjamin's filigree lines brought tears to my eyes, such was the beauty of his playing. And... those rhythms - even in this most French of Ravel's works, Benjamin found and expressed a Spanish tinge that was arresting and appealing. I enjoyed this performance hugely.

Clever programming to move on to Gounod - as I've not encountered before, tricked out by Liszt and jazzed up by Ben. Grosvenor who played as if possessed. This was unfettered showmanship; virtuosity at its most rampant. Liszt was as good at demonic as Gounod was insipid, but the combination of Liszt & Ben put the Devil at the heart of Gounod's Faust. It needed it and this performance was a triumph for arranger and pianist.

A trivial Tango by Albeniz brought us back from Hell to the Wigmore Hall.

Benjamin Grosvenor remains a youngster to track.

I do hope other Boarders heard him live, or are going to listen on iPlayer - your time will be well spent.
    Last edited by edashtav; 14-10-13, 22:25. Reason: typo
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

I will catch up later. A splendid artist from my county, Essex !

About time we had a new BG cd; seems ages since Rhapsody in Blue came out.

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks for the alert, edashtav - I'll certainly make a point of listening on iPlayer

However "A trivial Tango by Albeniz"?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's one of my favourite encore pieces, played wonderfully by both Cherkassky and Cortot

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        I will catch up later. A splendid artist from my county, Essex !

About time we had a new BG cd; seems ages since Rhapsody in Blue came out.

Wish he'd record some Alkan,especially after hearing him play that Gounod/Liszt thingy.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

I should think he'll be into Alkan in all good time.

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Many thanks for the alert, edashtav - I'll certainly make a point of listening on iPlayer

However "A trivial Tango by Albeniz"?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's one of my favourite encore pieces, played wonderfully by both Cherkassky and Cortot
            Yes, unimportant trifles can delight in the right ( and left) hands!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              I should think he'll be into Alkan in all good time.
              In his forties I'd say. Let's get his digits & intellect around some Beethoven & Mozart first

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Not enough pianists programme Alkan IMO.
                I've never understood why he isn't held in the same high regard as Chopin and Liszt.

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

In his forties I'd say. Let's get his digits & intellect around some Beethoven & Mozart first
                  Wise advice, Ams, & then Sorabji at the age of 50?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    Not enough pianists programme Alkan IMO.
                    I've never understood why he isn't held in the same high regard as Chopin and Liszt.
                    Could it be that a piece like Comme le vent requires 16-notes/second if played as written?

Jack Gibbons plays Alkans Comme le vent, no.1 of Douze Etudes dans les Tons Minuers, Op.39.For more information on Jack Gibbons visit http://www.jackgibbons....

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      Wise advice, Ams, & then Sorabji at the age of 50?
                      Attaboi edashtav

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Attaboi edashtav
                        That's snookered me - beyond my comprehension, ams - but it sounds positive & upbeat. My fingers are crossed - like many a pianist playing Alkan.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Relative youth need not be that great a stumbling block when it comes to Alkan performance:

Comment

• edashtav
                            • Jul 2012

[QUOTE=Bryn;342361]Relative youth need not be that great a stumbling block when it comes to Alkan performance:

Oh come on Bryn! You know that prestidigitation is not the same as great piano playing. Youth is advantageous in terms of velocity but fine interpretation demands so much more than mechanical accuracy.

And... I found many technical errors in this young man's Alkan. He remains hugely promising but many a prodigy has failed to mature into a complete musician.
                            Last edited by edashtav; 15-10-13, 00:01. Reason: removing repeat video

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Ahem, where did I claim that Mark's was "great piano playing"? I do, however, quite expect him to get there before his 40s.

Comment

Working...
                              X