X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moeranbiogman
    • Sep 2024

Sargent and RVW

Another 'treat' from the BBC vaults just available on Naxos Music Library - Sir Malcolm Sargent conducting VW 4th Symphony, coupled with Sibelius 4. The VW is a 1963 Proms performance with the BBC SO in fine form and Sargent at his best.
    Has anyone else a memory of seeing Sargent conducting British Music at the Proms?
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Where do I start? The trouble is I can't remember which were Proms and which other concerts after all this time. He conducted a great deal of British music, Holst, not just the Planets, RVW,especially no 6 when first published and the earlier symphonies, some Britten, most Elgar orchestral works, including Nursery Suite and Wand of Youth, loads more. Ifthe Proms list is still available perhapsitwould be a good idea to refer to that. He also conducted Ireland, Bax, Bliss etc quite often. Sorry,long time ago

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for starting this,I've really looked at the Proms Archive for the first time and just found a 1948 prom with Paul Tortelier playing Tchaikovsky's Rococo Variations, Iremember it well as I was there. Loads of Sargent British works for you too.

Comment

Working...
      X