Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

I listen to Ravel often, even Bolero now and again, perhaps once a year, but like so many others I'm heartily sick of it on R3. The absurdity is that the whole piece is of course an enormous crescendo, and the effect is always destroyed by the Optimod compression, but still they go on playing it.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

No Optimod on DAB, Freeview, satellite or the iPlayer.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Bryn,

I usually listen on FM for convenience, although I do use Freeview regularly when I want to record something on hard disc. I've no need to record Bolero however, since I'm horrified to find that I have 21 versions on CD! I hasten to say that this plethora is mainly due to the more interesting couplings!

Bws.
        Ferret

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Totally with you on 1, 2 and 4

But at 3, in place of Bolero, I'd put most of Liszt's output (save for a handful of his more thoughtful and/or lyrical piano pieces).
          Ok, no wish to be rude but how much of Liszt's output have you actually heard Caliban? - If you want peaceful Liszt, try the Berceuse (especially the early shorter version), much of the late work (especially Die Zelle on Nannonwerth last version, subtitled Elegie) and the chamber music (which sadly gets recorded very rarely). If you would like more advice, please let me know.
          Best regards,
          Jonathan

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
            Ok, no wish to be rude but how much of Liszt's output have you actually heard Caliban? - If you want peaceful Liszt, try the Berceuse (especially the early shorter version), much of the late work (especially Die Zelle on Nannonwerth last version, subtitled Elegie) and the chamber music (which sadly gets recorded very rarely). If you would like more advice, please let me know.
            It's not rude at all, Jonathan. Actually my upstairs neighbour happens to be one Tamas Vasary (what a waste, I hear you cry), and he has played through a few pieces on my piano to try and convert me - including the Berceuse which I agree is lovely (hence partly the caveat to my message). I can also handle a red-blooded performance of the B minor Sonata. But by and large, and it's not for want of trying I promise you, I can't bear it. A Wigmore Hall recital of the Transcendental Studies was one of my most irritating musical experiences ever (I came within an ace of running from the place). I know Liszt was amazingly influential on the subsequent history of music, but so was Henry Ford on the history of the motor-car, and I wouldn't want to drive everywhere in a Model-T.... *ducks for cover*
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              I've no need to record Bolero however, since I'm horrified to find that I have 21 versions on CD! I hasten to say that this plethora is mainly due to the more interesting couplings!
              My count is 50, none aquired for the work itself. I have been known to copy CDs omitting it to avoid it - it's particularly annoying when coupled with the sublime complete Daphnis and Chloe. On the question of Liszt, I like some of his symphonic poems and the piano concerti are quite clever, but some of his solo piano works tend to take a while getting to the point.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                It's not rude at all, Jonathan. Actually my upstairs neighbour happens to be one Tamas Vasary (what a waste, I hear you cry), and he has played through a few pieces on my piano to try and convert me - including the Berceuse which I agree is lovely (hence partly the caveat to my message). I can also handle a red-blooded performance of the B minor Sonata. But by and large, and it's not for want of trying I promise you, I can't bear it. A Wigmore Hall recital of the Transcendental Studies was one of my most irritating musical experiences ever (I came within an ace of running from the place). I know Liszt was amazingly influential on the subsequent history of music, but so was Henry Ford on the history of the motor-car, and I wouldn't want to drive everywhere in a Model-T.... *ducks for cover*
                How convenient it must be to have your own resident concert pianist, Caliban. Certainly saves you having to fumble around with CDs. Funnily enough I had that Heston Blumenthal around my gaff the other night to turn out a few fancies on my cooker. Next week the RSC are helping me with my wardrobe.

I can't muster any enthusiasm for Liszt either. Neither do I imagine the course of western music would have remained much altered had he not swept into town. Wikipedia has only this to say about his legacy:
                Although there was a period in which many considered Liszt's works "flashy" or superficial, it is now held that many of Liszt's compositions such as Nuages gris, Les jeux d'eaux a la vill d'Este, etc., which contain parallel fifths, the whole-tone scale, parallel diminished and augmented triads, and unresolved dissonances, anticipated and influenced twentieth century music like that of Debussy, Ravel and Bartok

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                  Wikipedia has only this to say about his legacy:
                  Although there was a period in which many considered Liszt's works "flashy" or superficial, it is now held that many of Liszt's compositions such as Nuages gris, Les jeux d'eaux a la vill d'Este, etc., which contain parallel fifths, the whole-tone scale, parallel diminished and augmented triads, and unresolved dissonances, anticipated and influenced twentieth century music like that of Debussy, Ravel and Bartok
                  Not mentioning the point that the Tristan -chord is Liszt's, not Wagner's "innovation"

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...Actually I rather like Listz's Piano Music- It's his Orchestral Scores I cannot abide!

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      Not mentioning the point that the Tristan-chord is Liszt's, not Wagner's "innovation"
                      Was it not Bach's? A good example - one of many we could cite - comes in the G minor fugue, number sixteen of the second book of the jolly old WTC, at bar forty-nine. On the first beat and entirely "Wagnerian" in effect if the performer is willing and able to bring it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X