X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freddie Campbell
    • Sep 2024

...Music You Simply HAD to turn off?

...Just now I had to turn off Brahms 4 offered without taste or style by John Elliot
    Gardener & his Orchestra Romantique- Playing too fast & without meaning!
    (So rarely does this happen now for me from Radio Three's Broadcasts)
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Freddie Campbell View Post
    ... Brahms 4 offered without taste or style by John Eliot
    Gardener )
    ... I think you mean "offered without a taste or style that I, Freddie Campbell, like/am used to/understand/appreciate/enjoy... "

Others delight in his approach.

Comment

• Cellini

I had to turn off E. F. Shalnorberg's 9th Symphony as I couldn't make head or tail of it.

I know what you mean about John Elliot Gardener & his Orchestra Romantique, know what I mean nudge, nudge? It's when they play so fast they play between the notes, know what I mean? And it was far too romantic, all that kissing and cuddling ...

I hope you are taking this seriously, by the way.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Looks like FC is fond of just the sort of Brahms performance that the composer railed against.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

The 'music' I found myself rushing to trun off most recently was what Rattle did to Mahler's 2nd in his Berlin recording. Despite his rather less impressive soloists and chorus, I had better give the Norrington a spin to set things to right again.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Freddie Campbell View Post
            ...Just now I had to turn off Brahms 4 offered without taste or style by John Elliot
            Gardener & his Orchestra Romantique- Playing too fast & without meaning!
            (So rarely does this happen now for me from Radio Three's Broadcasts)
            Now then, Ferdie Crumble - I assume you mean 'Sir John Eliot Gardiner'

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...Well I normally LIKE Sir John & his efforts!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Well, if 'HAD' is in capitals like that, I once had to turn off a Steve Reich piece (possibly Come Out) on CotW because it was causing me acute neurological distress. I mean that literally, not as an expression of impatience or dislike .
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Do you know of whom you speak? The untouchable JEG? May your mouth be never clean! Tut, tut!

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Hmm, I was just about to turn the Brahms off - when I realized it would something completely different from what I expected. Not (yet) being a period instrument buff I actually enjoyed the performance - but than I tend to revel in "Try something different".
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...But it showed no understanding of musical line in Brahms...Cellini- Don't you alwys come with a Gvt health warning(like myself) "Not to be taken(too)seriously?"
                      And Amateur- careful,or I might make you an "Apple-pie(crumble) bed!"

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        I had better give the Norrington a spin to set things to right again.
                        Oh, that's hilarious, really. Thank you for brightening up a rather grey and dismal day.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Brahms 4 whoever it was played by; in fact, Brahms anything.

Comment

• Cellini

I did just in fact hear the last few bars, the final chords and without knowing what it was I thought it incredibly bad and unispiring. Then I thought after the announcement, "well it can't have been that bad all through, could it?" Surely not?

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              . . . in fact, Brahms anything.
                              Even opp. 117, 118, 119?
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                              X