X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikerotheatrenestr0y

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    Suffolkcoastal
    It's almost as if there is a completely different repertory for orchestras when they are not in the recording studio.
    That's very true - so is it necessarily a good thing to insist on live performances on R3? Justified complaints about restricted repertoire may not be met by live performances if these follow the "main audience taste" - unless some element of BBC subsidy enables a widening of repertoire...

This is, of course, quite the wrong place, but if you want to try someone new, ferret, then how about Grazynna Bacewicz? Theblues-thatjazz.com has several chances for you to listen to her work - i was captivated by a newly released CD on CD review, and then googled.

Comment

• Segilla
      • Nov 2010

I'd like to get the cognoscenti of performance together for a 'blind
      tasting' of works whose recordings they are unfamiliar with and see where a
      comparative chart gets us.

To my mind, it's not the performance that precludes appreciation of rarely heard
      music.

I have found great pleasure in Sinding, Raff, and many others, but not yet in
      Paderewski's Polonoia symphony, for example, and other rare works. I remember how years
      ago I was very unimpressed with Parry's 5th but now regard it as a fine
      work.

Time, giving the music a chance to mature in the mind is what I need. Those
      performers who realise it for me are admired but never unduly lauded or witheringly panned.

Always, it's the music!

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
        Without being Grewish, .
        "Grewish"...Almost an anagram of Gershwin though not in the Sidney spelling.

Comment

Working...
        X