X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

CBSO - Wagner, Stravinsky - 19.9.13 - 7:30pm

Live from Symphony Hall, Birmingham. The CBSO and Andris Nelsons open their new season with Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Wagner's Tannhäuser Overture.

Wagner: Tannhäuser - Overture
    Wagner: Wesendonck Lieder

8.15: Interval

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring

Kristine Opolais, soprano
    CBSO
    Andris Nelsons, conductor

When The Rite of Spring was premiered in Paris in 1913, it caused a riot. But 100 years on Stravinsky's revolutionary ballet will still make an electrifying opening to the CBSO's new season. Andris Nelsons conducts it for the first time, and joins his wife Kristine Opolais in music close to both their hearts - Wagner's star-crossed Wesendonck Lieder, and the piece that first made him fall in love with music: the overture to Tannhäuser.
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Surely someone must have listened to this? I avoided it because we're going to tomorrow's performance with Anne-Sophie Mutter and the Dvorak VC replacing Mrs Nelsons' Wagner

Chrisopher Morleey in the B'ham Post was impressed:
    "...the most exciting account of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring I have ever heard. Stravinsky, Monteux, Bernstein, Karajan (if one must), Fremaux, Rattle, Oramo, Zander in his extraordinary performance high on adrenaline, all have their qualities.

But this, Andris Nelsons' first-ever outing with the work in this its centenary year, knocked them all into a cocked hat."
    Last edited by Zucchini; 22-09-13, 22:11.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

I would have done if I'd known it was on. However, I just assumed that the evening's concert would be another dire film music night, so didn't bother to turn on the radio.

Did the announcer mention Disney's Fantasia?

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
        Surely someone must have listened to this?
        Yes, I did, bar about the first five minutes of the Tannhäuser Overture (rushing home). I intended just to listen in for Kristine Opolais singing the Wesendonck Lieder. Her soprano is a bit light for Wagner, really, but she was accompanied most sensitively and brought a welcome sense of line to the songs. However, I stayed 'tuned in' during the interval talk and then enjoyed an excellent Rite of Spring - really fierce and barbaric. I think Andris Nelsons is an incredibly fine conductor - he's in the pit at Covent Garden for the forthcoming Elektra.

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Did the announcer mention Disney's Fantasia?
        I don't think so, but Disney was invoked in the interval talk, which segued from a passage from The Rite into a film score said to be influenced by it. The music was similar in style, if not derivative... turns out it was from Bambi! Who knew?
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          I would have done if I'd known it was on. However, I just assumed that the evening's concert would be another dire film music night, so didn't bother to turn on the radio.
          Alas, I fell into the same trap and only found out too late. I'll catch it on I-player later.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I have had to listen to the iplayer account for different reasons. Crosscountry trains - for whom no expletive is too rude - have decided to cut the last train from Birmingham going north of Derby from 14 September meaning the last train was 9pm tonight .

After a magnificent account of the Tannhauser overture ( though it was a little marred by an alarm going off somewhere in the building ) what a shame there is no Birmingham opera house for this band and their conductor and a spectacularly brilliant account of the Dvorak by Anne Sophie Mutter with some exquisite contributions from the orchestra especially the woodwind. It was great to hear and see ASM again - the last time I saw her in concert was in 1984 when she played the Mendelssohn with Rostropovich and the Washington orchestra . She has quite an amazing figure too and when she smiles she looks a lot younger than her age .

I digress , however, what was lovely to hear was that she not only sailed effortlessly over the technical difficulties but she played the solo part with terrific character and I don't recall ever hearing a more exciting yet idiomatic account of the concerto even from Suk and Ancerl on record . I hope the recording matches it .

After an encore of Bach's sarabande in D - which was equally stunning , one could truly have heard a pin drop - time had run on so much that i realised that my concern that I would miss my train if I stayed for the Rite was realised .

To add major insult to injury the blasted train was 15 minutes late and I could have stayed after all !!!

I am sure I missed something very exciting indeed.

I have not heard the CBSO in concert for a while - they really are a terrific orchestra.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I have had to listen to the iplayer account for different reasons. Crosscountry trains - for whom no expletive is too rude - have decided to cut the last train from Birmingham going north of Derby from 14 September meaning the last train was 9pm tonight .

After a magnificent account of the Tannhauser overture ( though it was a little marred by an alarm going off somewhere in the building ) what a shame there is no Birmingham opera house for this band and their conductor and a spectacularly brilliant account of the Dvorak by Anne Sophie Mutter with some exquisite contributions from the orchestra especially the woodwind. It was great to hear and see ASM again - the last time I saw her in concert was in 1984 when she played the Mendelssohn with Rostropovich and the Washington orchestra . She has quite an amazing figure too and when she smiles she looks a lot younger than her age .

I digress , however, what was lovely to hear was that she not only sailed effortlessly over the technical difficulties but she played the solo part with terrific character and I don't recall ever hearing a more exciting yet idiomatic account of the concerto even from Suk and Ancerl on record . I hope the recording matches it .

After an encore of Bach's sarabande in D - which was equally stunning , one could truly have heard a pin drop - time had run on so much that i realised that my concern that I would miss my train if I stayed for the Rite was realised .

To add major insult to injury the blasted train was 15 minutes late and I could have stayed after all !!!

I am sure I missed something very exciting indeed.

I have not heard the CBSO in concert for a while - they really are a terrific orchestra.
              Send a letter to Chair of said railway company with your ticket stubs (concert & journey) explaining how their resheduling and failure on the night screwed up your evening. As it's a virtual monopoly you'll probably not get a response but it might.

Aside from that, thanks for this review Barbs

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

I have a similar tale Barbirollians! We missed the 9.20pm train from Snow Hill by 5mins - if Anne-Sophie hadn't given us that Sarabande... - had a 55min wait & got home at midnight. But I really don't begrudge it; I was absolutely mesmerised by her. We went to hear Anne-Sophie really & I agree with everything you say. I'm not going to forget her performance in a hurry.

The Rite was unbelievable. It was much more than a well rehearsed showcase for the CBSO, Nelsons seemed to be conjuring the performance on the spot & I'm sure you will guess that iplayer won't come anywhere near to replicating what we heard in the hall.

An astonishing thing was the transparency of the CBSO's playing - we were sitting about 10 rows back a bit to Andris' right & could follow soft & sinuous woodwind lines & even hear the tambourine whilst under the most ferocious onslaught from the CBSO's augmented heavy brass. (Is that one of the miracles of Symphony Hall, Nelsons and/or his players?)

Nelsons often sought extra emphasis on the back ends of notes or phrases & created a massive momentum that finally hit us like a truck. It was a very fine conception, full of fresh ideas & dazzlingly executed. As you saw, Orfeo were recording the Rite for future release.

When he turned to the audience at the end he indicated, panting like a dog, that he was completely knackered! The huge ovation was directed to Andris by the orchestra who three times refused to stand & joined the applause for their maestro.
                Last edited by Zucchini; 22-09-13, 21:29.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                  I have a similar tale Barbirollians! We missed the 9.20pm train from Snow Hill by 5mins - if Anne-Sofie hadn't given us that Sarabande... - had a 55min wait & got home at midnight. But I really don't begrudge it; I was absolutely mesmerised by her. We went to hear Anne-Sophie really & I agree with everything you say. I'm not going to forget her performance in a hurry.

The Rite was unbelievable. It was much more than a well rehearsed showcase for the CBSO, Nelsons seemed to be conjuring the performance on the spot & I'm sure you will guess that iplayer won't come anywhere near to replicating what we heard in the hall.

An astonishing thing was the transparency of the CBSO's playing - we were sitting about 10 rows back a bit to Andris' right & could follow soft & sinuous woodwind lines & even hear the tambourine whilst under the most ferocious onslaught from the CBSO's augmented heavy brass. (Is that one of the miracles of Symphony Hall, Nelsons and/or his players?)

Nelsons often sought extra emphasis on the back ends of notes or phrases & created a massive momentum that finally hit us like a truck. It was a very fine conception, full of fresh ideas & dazzlingly executed. As you saw, Orfeo were recording the Rite for future release.

When he turned to the audience at the end he indicated, panting like a dog, that he was completely knackered! The huge ovation was directed to Andris by the orchestra who three times refused to stand & joined the applause for their maestro.
                  Thanks for that I understand it was recorded for Orfeo that is why all those microphones were there . I am so annoyed I would have driven otherwise . I was five rows back on the end - I fear that the people sitting next to me must have considered me unhinged not to return for the second half !

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I frequently used to attend CBSO concerts during the Rattle era but East Midlands Trains make it impossible and have done for some time. In Barbirollian's position there is no question that I would have found a hotel for the night - there used to be a reasonably priced one in New Street - and blow the expense and blow going in to work the next day.

The only good thing about Cross-Country trains is that they have the most comfortable seats on the entire network. I have friends who work for them in Birmingham so will mention your experience next time I see them.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I frequently used to attend CBSO concerts during the Rattle era but East Midlands Trains make it impossible and have done for some time. In Barbirollian's position there is no question that I would have found a hotel for the night - there used to be a reasonably priced one in New Street - and blow the expense and blow going in to work the next day.

The only good thing about Cross-Country trains is that they have the most comfortable seats on the entire network. I have friends who work for them in Birmingham so will mention your experience next time I see them.
                      I have other commitments that made staying over last night impossible . I just find the idea that no trains run north of Derby after 9 pm from Birmingham - bizarre.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        I have other commitments that made staying over last night impossible . I just find the idea that no trains run north of Derby after 9 pm from Birmingham - bizarre.
                        It does seem bizarre, especially for a Saturday night. Not knowing your location I can only hazard a guess that there may have been engineering works. I'll be in Derby station tomorrow morning and will have a look at the timetables going north and check out any engineering problems. If you were taking the Crewe line then last train every night from Derby is at 21.42 which really is bizarre.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          It does seem bizarre, especially for a Saturday night. Not knowing your location I can only hazard a guess that there may have been engineering works. I'll be in Derby station tomorrow morning and will have a look at the timetables going north and check out any engineering problems. If you were taking the Crewe line then last train every night from Derby is at 21.42 which really is bizarre.
                          It seems from the printed timetable that until 14 September the 21.56 ran to Leeds - from then the last train runs only to Derby and arrives after the last East Midlands train north. It strikes me as bonkers but that is our privatised railway for you - no doubt they don't make enough profit on that train as winter comes .

Comment

Working...
                          X