X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Salzburg Festival

Unless I've missed it somewhere on the boards, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 90 minute documentary on BBC4 last night about the history of the Salzburg Festival. I didn't know it was on - luckily I just switched on in time. There is a second part next Friday, too. This first programme had some fascinating clips I'd never seen before of Karajan, Bohm, Knappertsbusch etc and accounts of the Nazi years. Has it been broadcast before?
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Unless I've missed it somewhere on the boards, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 90 minute documentary on BBC4 last night about the history of the Salzburg Festival. I didn't know it was on - luckily I just switched on in time. There is a second part next Friday, too. This first programme had some fascinating clips I'd never seen before of Karajan, Bohm, Knappertsbusch etc and accounts of the Nazi years. Has it been broadcast before?
    Great reminder Micky, thanks! One for the iPlayer downloader, to get it on the hard-drive and the iPod

Bon weekend!
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 19-02-11, 10:15.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I did a little heads-up a few days ago, just the bare details but can't find it now. A wonderful chance to see some of the greats conducting, singing and talking. I just wish I'd videod it. Don't have an ipod.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Some amazing footage and interviews. I see next week's programme will concentrate on HvK's legacy.

Comment

• JimD
          • Nov 2010

I agree it was fascinating, including the clips of old productions of operas. The repertoire seemed a little repetitive and/or conservative, but I guess that's inevitable. I did however find it somewhat episodic, with limited effort to integrate into some kind of coherent narrative about the issues the programme implictly raised.
          Last edited by JimD; 19-02-11, 10:30.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I posted on Performance on the 16th, 28 'views' no comments. Let's hope the 'views' all watched it.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

I am just watching and enjoying this on iPlayer. Forgive my ignorance but can anyone tell me the work conducted by Abbado approx. 8 minutes into the programme, please?

(what a lovely down-to-earth lady Ann Murray is)

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Not sure when it was, but there was certainly a clip of Abbado conducting Bartok's The Miraculous Mandarin. I suspect ot was the suite, but hope it was the full work.

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  I did a little heads-up a few days ago, just the bare details but can't find it now. A wonderful chance to see some of the greats conducting, singing and talking. I just wish I'd videod it. Don't have an ipod.
                  Well, if you're familiar with the i-player, you can watch the whole thing at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ival_Part_One/ to your heart's content!

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

I thought it had some really fascinating footage, especially the earliest festivals with Max Reinhardt's production of Jedermann. I would have loved to have seen more film of his production of Goethe's Faust in the 1930s. Reinhardt would be worth an entire programme on his own.

And good to see an interview with Furtwängler's widow, and some film of him conducting (how DID players follow his beat?!) The Don Giovanni footage from 1954 was I think taken from Paul Czinner's film, still available on DVD.

It left me wondering whether there was more extensive film archive in Austria that could be made publicly available, as so much of what was presented left you wanting more.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Yes, extraordinary just how many of those productions were captured on film - there must surely be loads more somewhere. I particularly liked some of the stories, especially the lady whose father buried all the family jewels in the pile of manure, safe from the Russians!

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

The Salzburg Festival film BBC4

Perhaps this lengthy Tony Palmer film is a repeat (?) but the first part was shown on BBC4 last night and was full of fascinating archive film of composers, conductors, singers and musicians performing and being interviewed, from the earliest days to just post WW2. Part 2 is next week and if you haven't like me, seen it before, don't miss it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I recorded this and watched it later yesterday evening. It was fascinating, with interesting contributions from relatives of great conductors. I never realised Karlheinz Bohm was son of the conductor. (Sniggering not allowed.)

Comment

• amateur51

Hang on, people.

There's an identical thread started by MickyD on this very topic.

Can we agree to a rationalisation of threads and agree to post all pertinent comments on the MickyD thread please?
                            Last edited by Guest; 19-02-11, 12:15. Reason: posting link, adding smiley

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I did a little heads-up on
                              Performance on 16th Feb and got no response at all. I did just put bare details but though no-one was interested.

If it is repeated on TV please let me know as I would like to Video it. Didn't bother last night but saw it and it was very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X