Essa Pekka / Philharmonia/ Bartok - Stravinsky. A Unique experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daring Tripod
    • Jun 2024

Essa Pekka / Philharmonia/ Bartok - Stravinsky. A Unique experience.

I find that there are rare moments in one’s life when one suddenly hears a great performance of a work one thought you knew so well and it comes to you all freshly polished’ to give you the same sensation as when you first discovered it, often a long time ago.

Such was the occasion last night when listening to Essa Pekka Salonent and the Philharmonia performing Bartok’s “Music for String Percussion and Celeste” and above all, Stravinsky’s "Rite".

What an exhilirating concert. The exciting tempi adopted by Essa Pekka challenging the perfectly honed Philharmonia. What a marvellous group they are. I was frankly bowled over and could not sleep after that!
    Well, I am glad to say that the majority of critics who went to that concert agreed with me.

Do not miss the opportunity to hear that unique performance on the iplayer. You are in for a rate treat. Now I have to wait till June for the next concert in the series!
  • Daring Tripod

For those who ar interested in this series I recommend a few fascinating films on Bartok and his music as well as his famed folk music connection at
    http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/bartok/.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

I absolutely agree with you. I went to the RFH mainly for the Bartok, which was also excellent, but the Rite was terrific. I've heard too many live performances in recent years, since they seem to do it annually at the Proms, but this was marvellous, and perhaps because of its association with the Bartok theme I found more of a folk suggestion in the performance. This series continues in June, while I'm away unfortunately, but I've booked for the performances in October and November which include Bluebeard's Castle and Contrasts.

Comment

• Peter Katin
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Daring Tripod View Post
        I find that there are rare moments in one’s life when one suddenly hears a great performance of a work one thought you knew so well and it comes to you all freshly polished’ to give you the same sensation as when you first discovered it, often a long time ago.
        I will hound down the Rite as I missed it. The rest was amazing!

Comment

• Threni

Well I listened on iPad so speakers not very big, however I was wanting the Brtok more than Stravinsy and wasn't even going to listen, but I have both of Salonens rites on cd and thought what the hec... Bloody hell fire!!! An amazing performance! I have all of Salonens Stravinsky recordings and regard him as one of the top Stravinsky conductors.

Good thing about the iPad you can record off the iplayer and so can convert when I return home off holiday. Be nice to listen to it on my stereo.

Comment

• Peter Katin
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            I absolutely agree with you. I went to the RFH mainly for the Bartok, which was also excellent, but the Rite was terrific. I've heard too many live performances in recent years, since they seem to do it annually at the Proms, but this was marvellous, and perhaps because of its association with the Bartok theme I found more of a folk suggestion in the performance. This series continues in June, while I'm away unfortunately, but I've booked for the performances in October and November which include Bluebeard's Castle and Contrasts.
            Yes, I somehow managed to miss it too, but if I'm not too late with the iPlayer I'll catch up with it tomorrow.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

A quite wonderful concert. At last I have heard the Rite of my
              dreams. Just for once, no degree of even slight disappoinment.

For his performance in this Rite alone, timpanist Andrew Smith
              urgently deserves a knighthood for services to music.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Hmm. Not bad for Second Class, Alison. I feared you might have to wait until Monday. So what did you think of Mr. Sudden's Kassandra performance?

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Utterly absorbing. It's on now !
                  Has the same physicality as that Rite. Ive discovered
                  something there - and the Dave Smith x

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

A really wonderful 2CD set. Thank you so much.
                    I especially enjoy receiving things on Saturdays !

Comment

• Simon B
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      For his performance in this Rite alone, timpanist Andrew Smith
                      urgently deserves a knighthood for services to music.
                      If I might engage in mild heresy for a moment, he was fractionally outdone once-or-twice for sheer impact by the second timpanist (who seems to be the regular Philharmonia 2nd these days, but whose name has escaped me). In any case, at the RFH performance of the Rite, the precision and brilliance of the playing wasn't lost on Salonen who quite rightly afforded the second curtain call (after the bassoon obviously!) to the timps.

I've probably heard dozens of live Rites over the years and the impact does get at least slightly lessened by exposure - but this was the best in a long time. In general the Salonen/Philharmonia team is yielding interesting and often thrillingly played programmes IMO. It's to be hoped that they can continue in future seasons with risky (in box-office terms) endeavours like the current Bartok series...

Comment

Working...
                      X