Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Very enjoyable all-Schumann concert (Kinderszenen, Piano Quintet) in progress featuring an 1839 Streicher piano.

Comment

• ostuni
      • Nov 2010

Yes, this Schumann Piano Quintet was an excellent performance, I thought - I hope jlw and others who enjoy early Romantic HIP get to listen. In comparison to Gaia Scienza and Michelangelo recordings, the Consone are significantly more HIP, I'd say: distinctly less vibrato, and a lot more portamento.

Tomorrow’s Schubert Quintet should be well worth a listen too: I heard them playing this a couple of months ago in a video stream from York - also very impressive.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Oh dear!

The presenter of today’s lunchtime concert has just told us something I believed to be impossible: Diabelli inviting Mozart to compose a variation on his waltz, despite the latter having rested in his grave for 28 years.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Oh dear!

The presenter of today’s lunchtime concert has just told us something I believed to be impossible: Diabelli inviting Mozart to compose a variation on his waltz, despite the latter having rested in his grave for 28 years.
          But Mozart did write a variation at the request of Diabelli. FX Mozart, Wolfie's last child. born after his father's death, that is.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Oh dear!

That would be Diabellical!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              But Mozart did write a variation at the request of Diabelli. FX Mozart, Wolfie's last child. born after his father's death, that is.
              Spot on Bryn - in the 1820s

There is a recording by Buchbinder of Var 28!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Oh dear!

Arguably there is a Diabelli Varation by W.A.Mozart . It’s the variation(in the Beethoven set ) based on the Leperello aria Notte Giorno Faticar from Don Giovanni - where Beethoven sends up his own industry staying up day and night writing these variations ! I think Hans Von Bulow described it as the greatest example of “drastic” humour in music.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I have it and also the Demus recording on an instrument of Beethoven's time, the latter in both its original vinyl manifestation, and on an Eloquence CD. Oh, and Staier, again on a historical instrument.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

This is Buchbinder's second recording of this variation.

Comment

• Pianorak
                      • Nov 2010

Eric Lu playing Mozart, Schubert and Chopin

Radio 3 Mon 20 Dec 21 - 13:00

Winner of the 2018 Leeds Piano Competition and current Radio 3 New Generation Artist, Eric Lu - still in his early twenties - is fast establishing himself as one of the most talented pianists of his generation. Here he performs sonatas by Mozart and Schubert alongside Chopin's Andante spianato and Grande polonaise.

Recorded at Wigmore Hall, 26th April 2021.
                      Presented by Andrew McGregor.

Mozart: Piano Sonata in B flat major, K 333
                      Schubert: Piano Sonata in A minor, D 784
                      Chopin: Andante spianato and Grande polonaise

Eric Lu (piano)
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the prompt.

Comment

• edashtav
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                          Radio 3 Mon 20 Dec 21 - 13:00

Winner of the 2018 Leeds Piano Competition and current Radio 3 New Generation Artist, Eric Lu - still in his early twenties - is fast establishing himself as one of the most talented pianists of his generation. Here he performs sonatas by Mozart and Schubert alongside Chopin's Andante spianato and Grande polonaise.

Recorded at Wigmore Hall, 26th April 2021.
                          Presented by Andrew McGregor.

Mozart: Piano Sonata in B flat major, K 333
                          Schubert: Piano Sonata in A minor, D 784
                          Chopin: Andante spianato and Grande polonaise

Eric Lu (piano)
                          I thoroughly enjoyed this Recital by Eric Lu who displayed sensitivity and mastery. I found his interpretation ofvthe Schubert Sonata to be poetic and moving.

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

Mr Lu is a wonderful pianist and free from the Lang Lang tendency to over-interpret the music and the urge to play everything as fast and flashily as possible. His playing and interpretations take me back to pianists of earlier generations like Kempff and Curzon. The recent recital of French music played by Steven Osborne and Paul Lewis is another example of a playing style that appeals to me.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                              • Jan 2019

I've just caught up with this recital, absolutely wonderful
                              “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                                Mr Lu is a wonderful pianist and free from the Lang Lang tendency to over-interpret the music and the urge to play everything as fast and flashily as possible. His playing and interpretations take me back to pianists of earlier generations like Kempff and Curzon. The recent recital of French music played by Steven Osborne and Paul Lewis is another example of a playing style that appeals to me.
                                It was a beautifully constructed programme and so wonderfully executed. You are so right about the lack of flashiness . The Andante Spinato and Grande Polonaise is well within the technical ability of most virtuosi but if you play it virtuosically you miss the point . That is the key to Kempff and Curzon I think .

Comment

Working...
                                X