Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Well, I got 4 of the 7 letters right!
    In the right order too!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Igor Levitt is a very good pianist but he is playing the opening Allegro of Beethoven’s Pathetique too fast...

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
        Igor Levitt is a very good pianist but he is playing the opening Allegro of Beethoven’s Pathetique too fast...
        Yes, that was my reaction as well. I found it rather unsettling.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Yes, that was my reaction as well. I found it rather unsettling.
          Levitt has become a bit of a speed merchant. Fast should never sound rushed.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Constantbee
            • Jul 2017

I thought so, too. Well controlled in other sections but the 'Allegro di molto e con brio' was rushed. Even thought I heard a couple of mistakes ...
            And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
              I thought so, too. Well controlled in other sections but the 'Allegro di molto e con brio' was rushed. Even thought I heard a couple of mistakes ...
              I don’t mind the mistakes so much - they are an inevitable part of a live recital . Schnabel’s recordings are full of them but although , like Levitt he went for fast tempi he never sounded rushed. The general consensus is that pianists have slowed up over the years.In contrast I found the tempi and approach in the Bach Chorales and Serious Songs a bit ‘over - meditative ‘ almost as if Igor was playing for himself - not a good idea in a recital.
              In contrast Schiff’s last three Beethoven sonatas from Wigmore on Monday were beautifully projected . To contradict myself I didn’t hear a wrong note - but that’s not the point . He is an absolute master - he phrases so much more interestingly than other pianists. The recital also benefited from some good tv direction - fascinating to see how he coped with those tricky trills on RH 4th and 5th finger (though he used 3rd and 4th a lot ) in the last bit of Op 111.

Comment

• ostuni
                • Nov 2010

I absolutely agree about the unnecessarily fast speed in the Beethoven. But, from my seat in row Q (a fair way back from the stage), Levit's playing of both the sets of Brahms transcriptions really drew me in.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                  I absolutely agree about the unnecessarily fast speed in the Beethoven. But, from my seat in row Q (a fair way back from the stage), Levit's playing of both the sets of Brahms transcriptions really drew me in.
                  Good to hear and good to hear that you were able to go and hear it live. I wonder if you are one of the first forumites to take the plunge ! It’s all very personal Isn’t it? - I think I’ve just had a bit too much sombre music on R3 over the last six months - even resorted to listening to complete Bruckner cycles to cheer things up...

Comment

• ostuni
                    • Nov 2010

Yes, I'm lucky enough to have a pretty easy journey into the Wigmore and have time on my hands, so in the past couple of weeks I've heard J-G Queyras, the Albion quartet, Kaleidoscope, Danny Driver & Levit there (and the Consone quartet this coming Sunday). My personal risk level is well satisfied by the Wigmore's safety procedures, and hearing music, and seeing musicians, in the flesh certainly helps to keep my spirits up. It's still at least a month or so before I can get back to a very limited amount of actual playing with friends and colleagues, though...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Yes, I'm lucky enough to have a pretty easy journey into the Wigmore and have time on my hands, so in the past couple of weeks I've heard J-G Queyras, the Albion quartet, Kaleidoscope, Danny Driver & Levit there (and the Consone quartet this coming Sunday). My personal risk level is well satisfied by the Wigmore's safety procedures, and hearing music, and seeing musicians, in the flesh certainly helps to keep my spirits up. It's still at least a month or so before I can get back to a very limited amount of actual playing with friends and colleagues, though...
                      I have to say that with their Two concerts a day and live streams the Wigmore Hall are absolutely covering themselves with glory ...the irony of it all is that it’s a golden period for the armchair arts enthusiast ( watching the totally sensational Royal Ballet live at the moment ...)

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

I had a foot in one stirrup, ready to climb my high horse in defense of Beethoven's up-tempo preferences. However, I held my horse and listened via Sounds. Oh dear! I don't think the tempo adopted would even work on an instrument of Beethoven's time, let alone a modern one. So, I quite agree, it was far too fast. Foot out of stirrup.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Yes, I'm lucky enough to have a pretty easy journey into the Wigmore and have time on my hands..
                          With time on my hands and loving the Wigmore Lunchtime Lieder recitals I have several times in recent years embarked on less than easy journeys. Not too tricky from North Wilts to Paddington or over-expensive with senior rail pass and free bus but still a day trip. My last one (for a while probably) was the marvellous Elisabeth Kulman last December. The current series on stream is a real treat.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Just greatly enjoyed today's live Wigmore recital with cellist, Anastasia Kobekina, accompanied by Luka Okros.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fThU-AkLyAU .
                            Unfortunately, BBC placard spoils Wigmore decor.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Elizabeth Brauss played that Op 10 No 3 Beethoven absolutely beautifully - what a wonderful touch she has ..The first movt a genuine presto without being rushed .

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

Elizabeth Brauss played that Op 10 No 3 Beethoven absolutely beautifully - what a wonderful touch she has ..The first movt a genuine presto without being rushed .
                                Enjoyed it as well - real beauty of tone!
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X