X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    Ingrid Fliter played the fourth Chopin Ballade today at lunchtime (recorded in 2018). If you enjoy the piece I think the performance is well worth finding on Sounds - a thoughtful and moving interpretation, definitely not of the flashy playing and ludicrous speed school but plenty of power and technique when needed and appropriate. Just a lovely pianist.
    Thanks for the tip: I thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme. Definitely a 'natural' in Chopin.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

I enjoyed listening to Elgar’s Violin Sonata in the Lunchtime concert yesterday, Gina McCormick and Martin Roscoe. Looking at the forthcoming recording of the Violin Concerto with Nicola Benedetti - this would have made a great coupling - I wonder if anyone has coupled the two works - and if not they should!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        I enjoyed listening to Elgar’s Violin Sonata in the Lunchtime concert yesterday, Gina McCormick and Martin Roscoe. Looking at the forthcoming recording of the Violin Concerto with Nicola Benedetti - this would have made a great coupling - I wonder if anyone has coupled the two works - and if not they should!
        I thought there's been one ages ago on CfP. Maybe it was half of this twofer? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Violin-Sona...s=music&sr=1-1

Or further off the beaten track there's https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-Elga...s=music&sr=1-3
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          I thought there's been one ages ago on CfP. Maybe it was half of this twofer? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Violin-Sona...s=music&sr=1-1

Or further off the beaten track there's https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-Elga...s=music&sr=1-3
          I really enjoyed the Elgar yesterday - what I would call 'full-blooded' performances.
          Re. CD couplings: The Nash Ensemble offer the violin sonata and the piano quintet.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I really enjoyed the Elgar yesterday - what I would call 'full-blooded' performances.
            Re. CD couplings: The Nash Ensemble offer the violin sonata and the piano quintet.
            It really was very inconvenient of Elgar to write only three big chamber works! They've never fitted very tidily on LP or CD. I'm pretty well off for the quintet and vln sonata but only have an LP recording of the quartet. Probably time I got a CD of it, but with what coupling?
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Edgy 2
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              It really was very inconvenient of Elgar to write only three big chamber works! They've never fitted very tidily on LP or CD. I'm pretty well off for the quintet and vln sonata but only have an LP recording of the quartet. Probably time I got a CD of it, but with what coupling?
              The Brodskys on ASV and Villiers on Naxos have the Elgar c/w the Delius ‘Late Swallows’ String Quartet,both recordings are very good IMO.
              The Naxos recording has added interest in that they include both original and revised versions of two movements of the Delius.
              “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                The Brodskys on ASV and Villiers on Naxos have the Elgar c/w the Delius ‘Late Swallows’ String Quartet,both recordings are very good IMO.
                The Naxos recording has added interest in that they include both original and revised versions of two movements of the Delius.
                The Coull Quartet on Hyperion offer Three Idylls by Frank Bridge and Walton's String Quartet in A Minor.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

The Coull Quartet on Hyperion offer Three Idylls by Frank Bridge and Walton's String Quartet in A Minor.
                  Oh I haven’t got that one.
                  I see there are more Elgar/Walton couplings,the Britten and Gabrielli Quartets.
                  Might have to do some shopping.
                  Last edited by Edgy 2; 05-05-20, 23:26. Reason: Decided I need more Elgar string quartets

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                    Oh I haven’t got that one.
                    I see there are more Elgar/Walton couplings,the Britten and Gabrielli Quartets.
                    Might have to do some shopping.
                    Coull Quartet originally CDA 66718, superseded by CDH 55218. Lovely Nevinson painting on the front!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                      • Jan 2019

Thanks LMcD

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Truly wonderful pianism from Llyr Williams, Danny Driver and Alexander Gavrylyuk in today's Lunchtime Concert.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Excellent recital today by young American pianist Nicholas Angelis. Featured works: Beethoven Op 26 and Brahms's Handel Variations.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Today's Music to Lunch (or Munch) to:
                            The Casals Quartet perform Mozart's 'Hunt' Quartet and Shostakovitch's 8th.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Today's Music to Lunch (or Munch) to:
                              The Casals Quartet perform Mozart's 'Hunt' Quartet and Shostakovitch's 8th.
                              Munch to me is Charles or (for screaming out loud) Edvard!

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Munch to me is Charles or (for screaming out loud) Edvard!
                                ... not Charles, the German-sounding French conductor?

Comment

Working...
                                X